× Members

Volunteering whilst in the ESA Support Group?

More
8 years 7 months ago #140528 by Steve163
Hello everyone,

I wonder if you kind folk could clarify something for me?
I have been in the Esa Support group for approx 3 years due to a balance condition, and once I learned to walk reasonably well again I began volunteering. I have volunteered for the past 16 months approximately, but am now moving on to another voluntary role and hope to do more hours.
I saw an employment advisor who recommended that I do more than 16 hours per week to build up my stamina to perhaps one day hopefully return to the work force.

However, the DWP have verbally said there is no upper limit to the hours you can volunteer in the support group but is that correct?
I have to fill in a PW1 form even though it is voluntary work and am concerned it may 'flag me up for a re assessment' or find me fit for work.
I was an electrician for 27 years and have had to gain experience in an office type environment because I can no longer do work at heights etc, nor am I experienced enough to work in an office.

Sorry for Rambling on...any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #140533 by Gordon
Steve

They seem to be treating your voluntary work as Permitted Work, the two are not the same and as far as I am aware, voluntary work is not limited by the PW rules, however, even if it was then as you are not receiving any payment for what you are doing then there should be no limit to the hours that you can do.

Doing Voluntary or Permitted Work should not result in a re-assessment but your doing it will be considered in any future assessment that you have, the exception will be if the work you are doing is clearly in conflict with your stated limitations, when the DWP can choose to initiate a re-assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve163

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.