× Members

DLA to PIP queries

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140684 by shimtoan
DLA to PIP queries was created by shimtoan
I received a letter from t'DWP telling me I had to claim PIP or my DLA would stop.

As far as I was aware, my DLA claim would run until 26/01/2016. According to the DWP letter, my claim could stop on 06/10/2015 if I don't make a claim for PIP.

My partner and I were wondering if we've read and understood the letter correctly.

Also, what happens to payments if any decision is made months after my DLA is scheduled to finish? Would I keep receiving my current rate of DLA or would payments stop until a decision is made?

We're more worried what would happen if a decision is made before the end of my DLA claim and whether it would affect any payments as we've budgeted for DLA until 26/01/16 due to my blue badge and VED-exemption.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #140685 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA to PIP queries
Hi Shimtoan,

DWP are entitled to instigate the switch to PIP at any stage, even if your DLA award has not yet ended. As it happens, we would expect forms to be sent out around 16 weeks before your claim ends so this is not so very early.

Now that the process has started you must apply for PIP within the given timeframe, otherwise your DLA claim would be stopped anyway.

As long as you play your part, your DLA claim would continue even if no decision had been made on the PIP by Jan 2016. DLA payments will continue until 1 month after the PIP decision is made, whatever and whenever that decision is.

Don't forget to make good use of our PIP guides

PIP help for claimants

If/when you have further questions please reply to this message and we will do our best to help :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: shimtoan

More
8 years 8 months ago #140687 by shimtoan
Replied by shimtoan on topic DLA to PIP queries
Does a transfer count as a continuation then?

If the decision isn't made until, say, March, would I be required to pay back any "overpayment" if I'm awarded a lower amount than currently?

I've read that one person was effectively swindled out of over £3,000 during a transfer because the decision process took about 18 months and came out at a higher rate for PIP than it was DLA

More
8 years 8 months ago #140690 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP queries

shimtoan wrote: Does a transfer count as a continuation then?

If the decision isn't made until, say, March, would I be required to pay back any "overpayment" if I'm awarded a lower amount than currently?

I've read that one person was effectively swindled out of over £3,000 during a transfer because the decision process took about 18 months and came out at a higher rate for PIP than it was DLA

Strictly speaking it is not a continuation as you are applying for PIP from scratch.

The PIP Transfer legislation specifically allows the DWP to continue paying DLA until four weeks after a Decision on your PIP claim is made, whatever that Decision is and whether it is made after your current award would normally end.

If a higher award is made under PIP then there is no back dating of the increase, conversely, if a lower award is made, then the claimant is not required to pay back any money.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, shimtoan

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.