× Members

Need help please - work group to support group

• mumofboys
  • Topic Author
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #140757 by mumofboys
Hi everyone,

I've been claiming ESA since 2012 and was placed in the work related group. I wasn't happy with that but was scared to appeal in case they denied my entire claim. However in the last few months my health issues have worsened considerably and I feel like I really need to be in the support group now.

My question is, is it even possible to swap groups as I've been in the WRAG for so long? Do o have to reapply from scratch and go to the ATOS assessment like before? And if they turn me down, do they reassess my whole claim? Only I'm terrified of being moved onto JSA and I know it looks as if IDS is going to abolish the WRAG soon. I have anxiety, depression, OCD, emetophobia and serious stomach problems I'm currently awaiting a referral to a gastroenterologist for.
I know how hard it is to get ESA for mental health issues, is it even worth applying to the support group? I can't cope with another ATOS assessment :(

Sorry for all the questions and rambling on!
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #140762 by bro58

mumofboys wrote: Hi everyone,

I've been claiming ESA since 2012 and was placed in the work related group. I wasn't happy with that but was scared to appeal in case they denied my entire claim. However in the last few months my health issues have worsened considerably and I feel like I really need to be in the support group now.

My question is, is it even possible to swap groups as I've been in the WRAG for so long? Do o have to reapply from scratch and go to the ATOS assessment like before? And if they turn me down, do they reassess my whole claim? Only I'm terrified of being moved onto JSA and I know it looks as if IDS is going to abolish the WRAG soon. I have anxiety, depression, OCD, emetophobia and serious stomach problems I'm currently awaiting a referral to a gastroenterologist for.
I know how hard it is to get ESA for mental health issues, is it even worth applying to the support group? I can't cope with another ATOS assessment :(

Sorry for all the questions and rambling on!

Hi mobs,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

As more than 13 months have elapsed since the date of your WRAG Award Notice letter, it is to late for you to make a late MR Request/Appeal of that decision.

If you feel that your medical conditions have changed or deteriorated to such an extent that your resulting limitations should now result in you being placed into The Support Group, (SG) you can report a Change of Circumstances (C of C) by letter to DWP ESA and request a supersession/review of your current WRAG award.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

There were some changes to the ESA qualifying criteria on 28/01/13

You will most probably have to fill in a fresh ESA50 Questionnaire and there is the possibility that you might have to take part in an ESA face to face. (Medical)

Your award will be reviewed from scratch, and as a result of this, you could be found fit for work, remain in The WRAG, or be placed into The SG.

If you do report a C of C, you may wish to consider :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page, 3rd & 4th links down :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or Maximus. (CHDA)

As you may or may not be aware : The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments (CHDA) (Maximus) took over the ESA WCA Contract from ATOS on 02/03/15.

To qualify for The SG, you will have to show that you qualify under at least one, any one of : The Functional SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors or, if you cannot qualify under one of those, via : ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

See also : Qualifying for the Support Group

From our : ESA FAQ’s

Regarding changes to WRAG recipients not being paid the extra WRA Component addition, only future claimants of ESA who are placed into The WRAG will be paid at same rate as JSA. (From April 2017)

See 1.160

"No current claimants will be affected by this change"

Your only other option is to await your natural periodic reassessment.

You may be able to find out the recommended date for this by ringing ESA :

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA. (Open 8AM-6PM. Mon-Fri.)

I hope the above helps and you may want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Browser so that you can return to it easily to post any further queries that you may have by replying to this topic.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by bro58.

• mumofboys
  • Topic Author
8 years 7 months ago #140768 by mumofboys
Replied by mumofboys on topic Need help please - work group to support group
Thank you very much fog your informative reply :) I think I will wait for the standard reassessment then as I wouldn't be able to survive on JSA (for health reasons as well as monetary) and I'm terrified of the face to face assessment. I've never been reassessed either, it was due in May 2013 but I never received any further information about it, and now ATOS aren't doing it, I'm not sure where that leaves me. I'm scared to ring and ask in case they realise my assessment is well overdue and then they find me fit for work (which I definitely am not) what a shambles this is!

• bro58
8 years 7 months ago #140780 by bro58

mumofboys wrote: Thank you very much fog your informative reply :) I think I will wait for the standard reassessment then as I wouldn't be able to survive on JSA (for health reasons as well as monetary) and I'm terrified of the face to face assessment. I've never been reassessed either, it was due in May 2013 but I never received any further information about it, and now ATOS aren't doing it, I'm not sure where that leaves me. I'm scared to ring and ask in case they realise my assessment is well overdue and then they find me fit for work (which I definitely am not) what a shambles this is!

Hi mobs,

You are most welcome !! :)

The choice of course is yours to make.

ESA reassessments have been getting deferred to a later date since January 2014 due to the huge backlog.

As reiterated in : This Topic.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.