× Members

PIP Tribunal with DWP representative attending

More
8 years 7 months ago #140773 by timber
I transferred across from DLA to PIP during the summer and Appealed as I felt my score had been considerably under- rated, I was only 1 point short of the Higher Rate of home element but on my calculation was considerably well overthis threshhold! The other point I queried was only being given the award for 2 yrs.

Today, after a very long wait, the Tribunal envelope finally arrived, but only to say the Appeal date has been set for 21st Oct. and the letter indicated they are expecting me to attend, even though I had intimated I would prefer not to go.

On phoning up, I discovered that the DWP have requested an officer be present at the appeal, so I get the distinct i pression that it would most definitely be in my best interests to get my wife to take me now?

I assume that the DWP are assessing my case as a "touch and go" scenario where they will require someone there to try to persuade the tribunal not to find in my favour?

Does anyone have any experiences/ thoughts, ad i am going out of my mind with worry at the prospect of such a meeting, and would it be beneficial even at this late stage to try to get a benefits Social Worker ( I am not registered) to accompany me or not! Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #140789 by Gordon
benmonspe

If you have requested a Paper hearing that you do not attend, then you can still insist that this be done, however, it may not be to your advantage to do so, where the Judge ignores the request for a Paper hearing it is usually because they believe the panel need the additional information that the claimant can provide by attending.

Even though a DWP Presenting Officer (PO) will be present, it is unlikely that the format of the hearing will be significantly different from what it would have been if they were not there. The panel will still direct most of their questions to you and their Decision will still be primary based on the information that you supply.

Typically the PO will be asked for their comments towards the end of the hearing and they can only ask you questions through the panel.

Most importantly the PO will not be part of the panels deliberations, like you, they will be asked to leave the room at the end of the hearing.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.