× Members

ESA assessment without ESA-50- so anxious & stupid

More
8 years 8 months ago #140885 by annie-rose
Hello,

I wasn't sent an ESA-50 form but have been given a medical assessment date of 9th October (after 2 years on 'Assessment rate'). I was too anxious to download ad send the form myself because I felt like I couldn't cope with the assessment.

I'm supposed to be going back to Uni (8 years since I first started, with lots of years off) 300 miles away on Sunday but I'm not sure if I'm well enough. It's my last opportunity to continue with my degree and my brother is at the same Uni and can pop in three times a day to help me. However since getting the ESA letter this morning I'm not sure what to do as I'd be relying partially on ESA and PIP to fund myself and I don't know how to cope without it. I have mental health problems but no psychosis and I'm ver worried

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #140895 by Gordon

Ellie wrote: Hello,

I wasn't sent an ESA-50 form but have been given a medical assessment date of 9th October (after 2 years on 'Assessment rate'). I was too anxious to download ad send the form myself because I felt like I couldn't cope with the assessment.

I'm supposed to be going back to Uni (8 years since I first started, with lots of years off) 300 miles away on Sunday but I'm not sure if I'm well enough. It's my last opportunity to continue with my degree and my brother is at the same Uni and can pop in three times a day to help me. However since getting the ESA letter this morning I'm not sure what to do as I'd be relying partially on ESA and PIP to fund myself and I don't know how to cope without it. I have mental health problems but no psychosis and I'm ver worried

You might want to have a look at your previous posts where we have answered these questions.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum/profile?view=user&userid=128952

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 8 months ago #140907 by annie-rose
Thanks Gordon. I'm sorry I hadn't actually finished this post and typed it by accident.

I was going to ask about something else- I read somewhere that if you are a full-time student then you are automatically treated as having Limited Capability for Work- is this true or will I still need to attend the Medical and prove this is the case?

Also if at my ESA medical assessment I do not score 15 points, are they likely to re-assess my (previously successful) PIP award?

Thanks!

More
8 years 8 months ago #140934 by Gordon

Ellie wrote: Thanks Gordon. I'm sorry I hadn't actually finished this post and typed it by accident.

I was going to ask about something else- I read somewhere that if you are a full-time student then you are automatically treated as having Limited Capability for Work- is this true or will I still need to attend the Medical and prove this is the case?

Also if at my ESA medical assessment I do not score 15 points, are they likely to re-assess my (previously successful) PIP award?

Thanks!

Being a full-time student does not qualify you for ESA, however, being in receipt of a PIP Daily Living award and a full time student does mean that you should automatically qualify for the WRAG. You will still be assessed for ESA to see whether you qualify for the Support Group.

Bearing in mind my comment above, not receiving an ESA award will not have an effect on any PIP award, this is not necessarily the case for DLA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 8 months ago #140961 by annie-rose
Hi Gordon,

Sorry I have had to wait for my Dad to check my messages and write for me.

In the ESA-50 it says that the ESA questionnaire can be used to re-assess an existing PIP award- is this definitely not the case?

Also if we ask for another appointment can they give us an earlier appointment against our wishes? and if I submit an ESA-50 now, can they choose to ignore it?

More
8 years 8 months ago #140977 by Gordon

Ellie wrote: Hi Gordon,

Sorry I have had to wait for my Dad to check my messages and write for me.

In the ESA-50 it says that the ESA questionnaire can be used to re-assess an existing PIP award- is this definitely not the case?

Also if we ask for another appointment can they give us an earlier appointment against our wishes? and if I submit an ESA-50 now, can they choose to ignore it?

We are not aware of a single occurrence where this has happened and the then Minister made a statement in the House of Commons that PIP reports would not be used in this way. Also the criteria are different, PIP is a walking test, ESA looks at other factors as well, so it is possible for somebody not to meet the ESA test but still be unable to walk 50m.

They will attempt to provide an appointment in the three weeks following the cancellation, as you are only allowed one change of appointment you would need to attend and second one that is arranged or risk having your ESA claim closed, quite how that would work given your automatic WRAG entitlement I don't know, but it's a problem you want to avoid if at all possible.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: annie-rose

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.