× Members

Query at start of DLA - PiP process

• Katy
  • Topic Author
8 years 7 months ago #141218 by Katy
Hello,

I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section, my mind is full up after reading the 85 page online help booklet from this site.

Ive been on DLA for a few years, just the low component of the care part (for limited mobility mainly of my hands for cooking, dressing, etc). I've now had the letter to change over to PiP. I have applied for mobility in the past and been rejected, even though I am very clearly within the criteria to receive it. I found/find it all so embarrassing/humiliating/intimidating that I couldn't face appealing against it.

I was in hospital recently and two nurses separately asked if I receive DLA and when I said I don't get the mobility component, they were quite angry about it. Anyway....

I did my telephone interview today and had all my information waiting, as outlined in your booklet. I also asked to see any notes available from my last "medical" for DLA, before deciding if they should be used in my application. (Again per your booklet's advice). The woman on the phone seemed quite surprised at this, checked and then said yes that was fine. Clearly not many people ask for this. Towards the end of the interview she said I would next be sent out form PiP2. I asked wouldn't I be sent out a copy of PiP1, the form with the information I had given on the interview, for me to sign and return. (I have arranged for a letter/report from my hospital consultant and wanted to put that along with my useless GPs "list of my conditions and medications" letter). As per the booklet, I had planned to enclose both letters with my PiP 1 form when returning it, along with discharge reports from recent hospital admissions. In the hope that this might avoid a face to face examination as I find them beyond upsetting. I didnt say that to the woman though. I just asked wouldn't I get form PiP1 to confirm, sign and return first before PiP2. She said "No, you have "signed" that form verbally on this interview".

Is this normal and is it legal and correct? It seems if they miss out this part of the process, it forces me through the entire process which otherwise MIGHT not be necessary.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice on this matter. I have found my money well spent on membership (wish Id found the 20% off code though!) and learned a great deal about things to add into forms, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141223 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Query at start of DLA - PiP process
Katy

The initial procedure for a PIP claim was for the PIP1 form to be sent to the claimant for signature, however, this does not seem to be the norm nowadays, as the form only holds basic information about the claimant is used to check eligibility and to capture sufficient information for the DWP to create the claim on the computer I don't believe that this should be an issue, I wouldn't say that for other forms where this is the procedure, the ESA1 being an obvious example.

You should not send evidence to the DWP at this point in the claim so you have not missed an opportunity do so by not receiving a PIP1 form, the only exception to this would be claimants making a claim under special rules.

The next activity in the process is for you to receive a PIP2 form, it is this that you should attached any evidence that you have.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katy

• Katy
  • Topic Author
8 years 7 months ago #141272 by Katy
Replied by Katy on topic Query at start of DLA - PiP process
Thank you for that clarification Gordon.

Perhaps you could point out this to whoever makes changes to the booklet that paid members of the site can use. Since it really baffled me as I felt confident that all the information in it is current and obviously the best thing to do.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris