× Members

New member. Should I try and claim more pip

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #141232 by gamesamui
Hello, I have been out of work for nearly 4 years, with constant neuropathic and rheumatism pain of varying degrees, probably from a motorbike crash ten years previously, still not properly diagnosed. I am on daily medication, had nerve steroid injections, refused a neck fusion operation due to risk factors.
I started on ESA, limited capability to work, for 2 years, until advised by my employment advisor to try for PIP, which I did. Unfortunately sent my claim off before joining up to this great site. Anyhow, I had a home visit from the PIP health inspector/doctor. She was here for about an hour, I then had a letter about a month later saying I had been awarded minimum living allowance, with a score of 8 points, and no mobility, only scoring 4 points. I also don't have to return to the job centre for 6 months, instead of the previous fort nightly visits. I had hoped for minimum mobility award, as I don't get out much due to pain, making it hard to drive and sometimes even walking is hard work, when I get flare ups.
What I want to know is, should I be happy with the extra £55 per week, or should I go through the lengthy process of appealing for minimum mobility award as well? I am having an operation on my wrists for carpol tunnel syndrome soon, so will be out of action for a few weeks. I am pushing for a more accurate diagnosis to help my case, but finding it hard work. This makes me think would I be successful in my claim that I am almost unable to do much at all some days, even though I stated this in my previous claim. Also would I have to worry about being seen for a medical on a so called good day, and then getting struck off for good. Is it worth the hassle, as I don't feel it would be successful myself
Sorry if I dragged it out a bit, but it's been a hell of a few years, literally. After being a healthy self employed tree surgeon for 20 years prior to this pain appearing all over me. THANK YOU,
Richard
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141239 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic New member. Should I try and claim more pip
Hi Richard and welcome to Benefits and Work. This link should help you find your way around the site.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You can request a Mandatory Reconsideration of your PIP claim up to 13 months after the decision was made. However, after 1 month you must show 'good cause' for the delay. At reconsideration, and then again at appeal, the whole of your claim can be looked at again and the award can be reduced/removed as well as increased, so you need to consider this carefully as you scored the minimal points to be awarded the care element.

I suggest you have a good look at our PIP guides and see where you think you should have scored points. You can also see how you might have presented your case in a way that was more likely to result in a higher award.If you have not already had a copy of the actual assessment report you can request this from DWP.

PIP help for claimants

It is unlikely that you would be asked to attend another face2face assessment at this stage in proceedings.

Please reply to this message if/when you have further questions and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.