× Members

Finding someone to attend medical - mental health

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #141243 by Simon
Hello

I am expecting to have to go to a PIP medical consultation in the next few weeks, I transferring from DLA to PIP.

I am wondering if anyone could help point me in the direction of where I might be able to find someone willing to attend a medical with me, preferably someone with experience in handling benefits claims made on mental health grounds.

I have tried the charity MIND but they are not active in my area.

I am based in Gloucester.

Many thanks

Simon
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141246 by slugsta
Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site, this link should help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I am afraid it is getting increasingly difficult to find help for welfare claims as so many agencies are operating with reduced funds :(

*You can try CAB although I don't hold out a lot of hope.

* Do you have a CPN? Some people have been accompanied to assessments by their CPN but I guess it depends on their workload.

* Is there a group or association for the condition from which you suffer? Contacting these people can sometimes be helpful.

* Try a web search for 'welfare advice' and your town/postcode

* Finally, don't under-estimate the value of a friend or relative attending with you. The assessor will want to hear about your limitations from you.

Other mods and/or members might have other suggestions.

If/when you have more questions, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 7 months ago #141312 by petrocelli
Replied by petrocelli on topic Finding someone to attend medical - mental health
:woohoo:

Hi Simon

This may/may not be of some use to you……………………..Search for Independent Mental Heath Advocates (IMHAs) in your area.

Also check out RETHINK, they deal with various aspects of MH and some areas also have Advocates…………….They cannot represent you per se, however, they can speak on your behalf, having previously consulted with yourself.

It may be useful to check out the roles of advocates to see if it will be suitable for yourself…………….the main thing’s that you’ll have someone with you, in confidence, if they’re able to deliver and their diary’s free!

Good luck
P.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.