× Members

What type of GP/Doctors letter for ESA?

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #141281 by Roy
Hello. This is my first post on the forum so not quite sure how it works. I hope this is ok and makes sense... my cognition is generally abysmal.

Overview.

I suffer with severe CFS/ME - IBS - Anxiety - Depression - PTSD - Insomnia, as well as Addiction problems (Prescription drugs). I live alone, isolated, no family and I feel life is hardly worth living, especially with the stress of dealing with benefits, which unfortunately I totally rely on. Ive had the ME for 24yrs and Ive always been self employed, but gradually deteriorating. Im now 60, ill every day, largely housebound, claiming WTC and HB.

I recently transferred from DLA to PIP and after going to tribunal I was awarded maximum in both categories. (It was a nightmare and it severely effected my health. ie.suicide attempt etc)

Im now planning to apply for ESA as my ability to do work from home has become impossible and I dont want the fear of being 'caught out' by the WTC people. Plus I believe I should get more with the severe disability element. (Ive delayed applying for ESA because of the overwhelm of dealing with PIP for 1 1/2 years).

Before I formally apply for ESA Im trying to get everything in place ahead of time because the deadlines cause me great stress with being so slow/unable to function. Ive downloaded the ESA50 form and descriptors to enable me to fill it in 'rough' first.

The success of my PIP was due to Doctors letters/evidence submitted late at appeal. For ESA im planning on getting them ahead of time, but Im unsure what kind of GP report is best to submit.

I have 2 GP's, one deals with the Addiction/drug elements and the other with the ME/CFS issues. The first GP is prepared to give me a letter stating exemption under section 25. The other GP did a 'tick box' report for the PIP of the descriptors/points that apply to me (which is what won me the tribunal). So Im hoping she can do the same for the ESA.

QUESTION. Which GP report should I get to send in when I get the ESA50 form. Both.. or will the exemption report alone be enough? (I have read that exemption reports are usually only submitted at appeal, but I figured it would help to bring this up as early as possible.. at the ESA50 stage?}.

Any advice would be greatly welcome. I also heard somewhere that gaining PIP can help with attaining ESA? Is this correct.. are there any crossovers??

Finally, Ive read somewhere that its highly likely the ESA people will contact your GP, so when you have ME/CFS its a good idea to provide your GP with a page describing a typical day? But would they be likely to contact your GP before or after the ESA50 form??

Many Thanks. Roy
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #141296 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic What type of GP/Doctors letter for ESA?
Hi Roy and welcome to Benefits and Work. This link will help you find your way around the site.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Congratulations on your PIP award, I understand that this must have taken a lot of your energy, emotional and physical.

The PIP award might entitle you to ESA premiums if you are on income-related ESA (even if you have only 1p of income-related top-up). Whether you are given Contributory or Income-Related ESA will depend on your NI contributions over the past few years.

ESA Premiums

The section 29 exception would gain your Work Related Activity Group of ESA, it would not entitle you to Support Group. We do not recommend relying on this, you need to make the best possible case for your entitlement rather than 'putting all your eggs in one basket' as it were.

Qualifying for the WRAG

Qualifying for the Support Group

Despite what you have hear, it is unlikely that DWP will contact your GP or consultant for information. For this reason you should try to submit as much supporting evidence as you can. The more a medic's letter relates to the ESA descriptors, the more use it will be.

Well done for downloading the PDF ESA50, it is a good idea to get ahead of the process. Fill out each question with reference to our ESA guide.

ESA claims and appeals

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141297 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic What type of GP/Doctors letter for ESA?
Roy

Just to add to Mrs H's advice.

Unless you are claiming ESA under Universal Credit which as far as I know is only being trialled by one DWP office in the UK (Croydon), then the applicable Exceptional Circumstances regulations are 29 for the WRAG and 35 for the Support Group.

Also be careful if you are using one if the downloadable letters in regard to the EC's the last time I checked, they did not cover all of the legal requirements for Reg. 29 and as a result, may be disregarded by the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.