× Members

contracting out (medical records)

More
8 years 7 months ago #141310 by micksville
contracting out (medical records) was created by micksville
Hi, Jim (Allison) recently posted in old news item re something called medconfidential, whereby patients can download a form to stop nhs and gp records being accessed by outside companies, including capita etc. Could somebody clarify for me, I understand this is different to summary care records from which I have long since opted out. I certainly dont wish my medical records to be accessible to insurance companies or any tom dick or harry. However, regarding firms like atos, capita wouldn't blocking access to your records disadvantage you in dwp claims and furthermore dont you give dwp pefmission to contact your gp when you fill in esa, dla or pip forms. Just like a little clarification about this before downloading the online form to send to my gp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141318 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic contracting out (medical records)

micksville wrote: Hi, Jim (Allison) recently posted in old news item re something called medconfidential, whereby patients can download a form to stop nhs and gp records being accessed by outside companies, including capita etc. Could somebody clarify for me, I understand this is different to summary care records from which I have long since opted out. I certainly dont wish my medical records to be accessible to insurance companies or any tom dick or harry. However, regarding firms like atos, capita wouldn't blocking access to your records disadvantage you in dwp claims and furthermore dont you give dwp pefmission to contact your gp when you fill in esa, dla or pip forms. Just like a little clarification about this before downloading the online form to send to my gp.

The scheme Jim was talking about allows the NHS to sell anonymous bulk medical data to a variety of organisations for analysis, there is concern that it may still be possible to back track the data for some individuals, for example, someone with a rare disease might reasonably be the only person with that condition in a set of geographical data.

The project is years behind schedule and is only implemented in some part of the North West (it could be the North East, I can't remember).

Your doctors surgery should have the opt out form.

There is implied permission in you making a benefit claim for ESA or PIP for the Assessment Provider to have access to your medical information in relation to your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
8 years 7 months ago #141368 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic contracting out (medical records)
To clarify, it isn't really a good idea to opt out of your summary care records, as your summary records can only be accessed my NHS staff. This is in my opinion necessary for those who travel in the UK to ensure that if they take ill, their medical records can be accessed by NHS staff anywhere in the UK

See Summary Health Care Records

What I was stating in my News item is totally different as Gordon has stated. I was referring to
care.data See How to opt-out of care.data This if it goes ahead nationally would allow, insurance companies, researchers, drug companies or virtually any Tom, Dick or Harry to access your care data, so it's important to opt out, although it appears to be on the backburner at present.

There's an informative article on consent at NHS Choices

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.