× Members

pip confusing a worn out carer

More
8 years 7 months ago #141341 by grahamp
pip confusing a worn out carer was created by grahamp
My husband had a severe mental breakdown in August last year and has been having treatment since, the citizens advice made him a claim for pip which was successful without an interview and he was awarded the enhanced rate daily living component, I gave up my full time work and now do 10 hours a week part time and receive carers allowance as this was passported due to him getting pip, i was informed i could put in a claim for income support to make up my lost earnings and this also was successful.
we both received a letter today from jobcentre plus informing us that my husband has to go for a work focused interview later this week to apparently advise how is best to get him into paid work, the letter states that because my husband has been getting benefits for more than six months this is a requirement of DWP, they are asking if it is ok for my benefit claim eg carers and income support to be discussed with my husband and after a phone call to DWP i was told I did not have to be present.
I was made an appointee by DWP of my husbands affairs so that i can keep him safe from the stress factors that will push him into another bout of depression, unfortunately I was at work and the post came early and just this once he decided to open the brown envelope addressed to him to receive this news, can you imagine where this has put him as he suffers from extreme social anxiety.
I just cannot help thinking that something is not right here what are they trying to do push him over the edge so there will be no more claim, any advice would please be appreciated to a very worn out carer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141352 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic pip confusing a worn out carer
graham

The request is the result of your claiming Income Support.

Contact the advisor and explain the level of disability that your husband has and the Impracticality of him attending or participating, mentioning that you are his appointee may also help.

JC+ advisors can be quite hard headed about this, my wife had to stomp up in her wheelchair pushed by a carer, before they accepted that she should not have been required to attend, so you may need to escalate the issue to the advisors manager, so don't be afraid to do so if necessary.

The DWP are required to make reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act 2010, it doesn't hurt to mention this as well.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: grahamp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.