× Members

Claiming PIP -Adult ADHD

More
8 years 7 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #141386 by Sulphur
Claiming PIP -Adult ADHD was created by Sulphur
Moderator's Note: See Claiming PIP for adults with ADD/ADHD for DWP statistics which show you have a good chance of an enhanced award, plus brief examples and case law on PIP for ADD/ADHD

Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I would like to start by thanking you all for this forum. I'm 36 and I have ADHD. I always struggled with staying in employment. I also have trouble with relationships and I have trouble keeping up with bills and paperwork. When I'm sigle and living alone my life descends into chaos. I struggle to keep the house tidy, pay bills and looking after myself in general. Right now I'm on a good phase, I'm living with a loving and supporting girlfriend and I have a job I'm really excited about but I know things can crumble really quickly. If I didnt have my girlfriend, I'd slowly start missing shifts at work or coming late all the time, I'd struggle to look after laundry, clothes and meals and I'd soon find myself unemployed and living in filth.

I've been on several anti depressant medications in the past, but i was diagnosed woth ADHD in 2012 and I've been doing ok with this treatment. I made a claim for PIP based on ADHD and depression. Capita booked an assessment soon after they got my application but I had a call from them a week before the date, saying they had the evidence they needed from my doctors and felt the assessment would be unnecessary. About a month after I got a letter from the DWP saying I had failed to obtain a single point and that my claim was declined. I wrote back for a mandatory reconsideration butthat too came back declined with zero points.

With my applicaitons I sent them no further evidence... I don't really have anything my doctors cant send themselves. My girlfriend wrote a supporting statement outlining the tasks she helps me with. The applicaiotn form was completed well and I studied the points and criteria carefully.

I made a claim for ADHD and depression but I only take medication for ADHD. I have spoken with my psychiatrist before abotu depression (and I had been on anti depressants in the past) but agreed to stay with my current medication on the belief that this medication alone would tackle those symptoms. I would like to hve some input from you about my claim and what I can do to be sucessful with it. I am thinking about appealing in court and your advice would be very welcome. Thanks a lot!
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Steve D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sbull90

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141393 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Claiming PIP -Adult ADHD
Andre

Welcome to the forum.

You say you made a claim for PIP "based on ADHD and depression", I'm afraid PIP is not awarded because a claimant has a particular illness or condition but rather because of the limitations that those conditions cause.

However, you go on to state that because of the relationship you are currently in, those limitations are not effecting you to any real degree. You are also receiving treatment for the ADHD which may also be treating your symptoms.

I would speak to your GP to see if Capita contacted them, but I would not be surprised if they did not, they are under no obligation to do so.

If you want to challenge the Decision then you can request a Mandatory Reconsideration but I would first go back to the PIP Claim guide to look at what points you might expect to score based on your conditions as they are now.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sulphur

More
8 years 7 months ago #141409 by Sulphur
Replied by Sulphur on topic Claiming PIP -Adult ADHD
Without my current girlfriend I would not be able to keep a job. She also does most of the cooking, cleaning etc. I'm not affected because she does it for me!
The medication also helps me stay in employment.

I hve gone through the manual and I should be scoring points on question 1, 2, 3, 6 and 10, but they haven't given me any on either the claim or MR!

More
8 years 7 months ago #141419 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Claiming PIP -Adult ADHD

Andre wrote: Without my current girlfriend I would not be able to keep a job. She also does most of the cooking, cleaning etc. I'm not affected because she does it for me!
The medication also helps me stay in employment.

I hve gone through the manual and I should be scoring points on question 1, 2, 3, 6 and 10, but they haven't given me any on either the claim or MR!

The fact that you scored no points AND that the Decision was made without a face to face means that the information you provided was not viewed as convincing.

I'm afraid your girlfriend doing some of the activities for you will only carry weight if she does them because you cannot, if this is the case then you need to go back to basics and explain what would happen if she did not do these things for you. If she does them because it is easier on you or more convenient, then you will not score points.

So for each activity you need to explain what it is that you cannot do, why you cannot do it, what would happen if you did have to do the activity, how often you are effected and for how long. You also need to address the issue of supporting evidence, whilst it is not specifically required, having none available is not helping your claim.

You have two choices, appeal the current Decision or make a new claim for PIP and try and try and address the issues raised. In either case, if you have not done so then you should request a copy of the assessment report from the DWP office that dealt with your claim, you can do this over the phone, but I would recommend following it up in writing.

Have a look at our PIP Appeal guide for information about how to lodge an appeal and prepare for the hearing.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.