× Members

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration Advice

More
8 years 6 months ago #141487 by QWERTY
PIP Mandatory Reconsideration Advice was created by QWERTY
Hi to everyone,

My deadline to apply for a mandatory reconsideration of PIP decision is by end of next week.

I have managed to get appt with GP to discuss situation couple days prior to deadline.

It took a while to get AP report and has taken help and time to look at it.

My q is:

Do I phone in next couple of days to request reconsideration ,.then follow with written request and more evidence if I can get more evidence ? hopefully arriving pre-deadline

O r do I phone/ send request and say I would like to submit further evidence asap?

ALSO,

How detailed does reconsideration request need to be?

Is it basically all the things you would appeal on or just some that I can point to in my form and hopefully support my position?

My AP report was not at all like my life and has left me unsure where to turn. I was awarded standard daily living component ( just) and no mobility component.
]
was unable to check the Benefits and work guide before claiming and wonder should I try to read it now Or just focus on reconsideration?
I'm worried that any other info would be too late.

Thanks,
Mrs QWERTY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #141488 by QWERTY
Replied by QWERTY on topic PIP reconsideration
Hi to everyone,

if a PIP health assessment gives points for an activity on the basis that you could do it with an aid or appliance , is it worth getting an occupational therapy assessment of your condition and its affect on you?

Is any assessment pointless information from a decision makers perspective or could it be helpful in trying to point out things in assessment you feel aren't how you manage day to day. The AP report just seems to ignore the info on my form.

I don't want to make situation worse and lose standard daily care award,but reliant on assistance and supervision and often need things doing for me or I would have to do without eg meals, bathing, etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Mrs QWERTY

More
8 years 6 months ago #141497 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mandatory Reconsideration Advice
QWERTY

You can make the MR by phone but you must confirm it in writing, the DWP are still regularly losing requests made by phone.

The request can be any of the following;

(a) simply that, a request for an MR with basic reasons why you have asked for an MR
(b) as (a) with a statement that you will be sending detailed information within four weeks
(c) a request for an MR with detailed reasons why you are doing so.

The important thing is for the DWP to receive your written request before the one month has elapsed, If you don't then you will need to explain why the MR request is late and the DWP do not have to accept your reasons.

If you are going to provide detailed comments with your MR then you should read the PIP Claim guide now to make sure that you properly understand the criteria that you are being assessed against, if you are just making a simple request, then it can wait until after. The guide is on the following link

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

How detailed the request needs to be will depend on why you are making the request, how detailed your original PIP2 form was, the evidence attached and why you failed to get the award you wanted.

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: QWERTY

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #141498 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP reconsideration

QWERTY wrote: Hi to everyone,

if a PIP health assessment gives points for an activity on the basis that you could do it with an aid or appliance , is it worth getting an occupational therapy assessment of your condition and its affect on you?

Is any assessment pointless information from a decision makers perspective or could it be helpful in trying to point out things in assessment you feel aren't how you manage day to day. The AP report just seems to ignore the info on my form.

I don't want to make situation worse and lose standard daily care award,but reliant on assistance and supervision and often need things doing for me or I would have to do without eg meals, bathing, etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Mrs QWERTY

It can do no harm requesting an Occupational Therapy assessment and it may provide help with some of your activities.

Confirmation that you need an aid or appliance to complete one of the PIP tasks should result in you scoring points for that activity.

You do need to be aware the requesting an MR allows the DWP to look at all of your award and there is a risk that the Daily Living component can be reduced or removed. You will have to assess whether this is likely or whether you feel your award existing award is secure.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QWERTY

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.