× Members

Fit note / signing on income based JSA & ESA appli

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #142449 by Catherine Constantinou
Replied by Catherine Constantinou on topic Fit note / signing on income based JSA & ESA appli

bro58 wrote:

cc120 wrote:

foss27 wrote: No.

Can someone outline the process for claiming ESA when currently on income based JSA?

From what I understand I can make an ESA application once I have a 'fit note' from my GP. But do I continue to sign on, or if not, what benefits do I receive whilst my ESA application is being considered?

Hi cc120,

As advised by Gordon earlier on in this topic, you need to close your JSA claim, then make a claim for ESA ASAP after doing so.

Once you have a "fit note" from your G.P., you can make your claim for ESA :

Claiming ESA Gov.UK

There is also an "Understanding ESA Guide" near the bottom of : This Page.

Unfortunately, you cannot receive JSA and ESA for the same period, so there will be a gap of a week or so between your JSA ceasing, and your ESA payments starting.

However, your ESA payments should be backdated to the start of your claim.

Once your ESA claim is up and running you will receive The Assessment Rate, (currently £73.10/Week for a single over 25 year old, paid fortnightly in arrears) plus any Income Related (IR) ESA top-ups that you may be entitled to.

See : Benefit Rates 2015/16

Within a week or so of your ESA claim being accepted you will receive an ESA50 through the post, this will be used as part of your Assessment. (WCA)

There are three options available after being assessed.

1. Fit for work. (ESA ceases)

2. Placed into The WRAG. (you will be paid the extra WRA component on top of your £73.10.)

3. Placed into The Support Group (SG) (you will be paid the extra SG component on top of your £73.10.)

When you receive The ESA50, you should use the guides on this page, 2nd & 3rd links down :

ESA Claims Guides

whilst filling it in.

The process is fully explained in our guide.

bro58

Thank you bro58. So once my ESA claim form has been received I will receive The Assessment Rate: £73.10, whilst my ESA claim is being processed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142450 by Catherine Constantinou
Replied by Catherine Constantinou on topic Fit note / signing on income based JSA & ESA appli
Also, if I am not able to acquire fit notes for the duration of the assessment, what is the process for returning to JSA?
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142456 by

cc120 wrote:

bro58 wrote:

cc120 wrote:

foss27 wrote: No.

Can someone outline the process for claiming ESA when currently on income based JSA?

From what I understand I can make an ESA application once I have a 'fit note' from my GP. But do I continue to sign on, or if not, what benefits do I receive whilst my ESA application is being considered?

Hi cc120,

As advised by Gordon earlier on in this topic, you need to close your JSA claim, then make a claim for ESA ASAP after doing so.

Once you have a "fit note" from your G.P., you can make your claim for ESA :

Claiming ESA Gov.UK

There is also an "Understanding ESA Guide" near the bottom of : This Page.

Unfortunately, you cannot receive JSA and ESA for the same period, so there will be a gap of a week or so between your JSA ceasing, and your ESA payments starting.

However, your ESA payments should be backdated to the start of your claim.

Once your ESA claim is up and running you will receive The Assessment Rate, (currently £73.10/Week for a single over 25 year old, paid fortnightly in arrears) plus any Income Related (IR) ESA top-ups that you may be entitled to.

See : Benefit Rates 2015/16

Within a week or so of your ESA claim being accepted you will receive an ESA50 through the post, this will be used as part of your Assessment. (WCA)

There are three options available after being assessed.

1. Fit for work. (ESA ceases)

2. Placed into The WRAG. (you will be paid the extra WRA component on top of your £73.10.)

3. Placed into The Support Group (SG) (you will be paid the extra SG component on top of your £73.10.)

When you receive The ESA50, you should use the guides on this page, 2nd & 3rd links down :

ESA Claims Guides

whilst filling it in.

The process is fully explained in our guide.

bro58

Thank you bro58. So once my ESA claim form has been received I will receive The Assessment Rate: £73.10, whilst my ESA claim is being processed?

Hi cc120,

Yes, you will continue to receive The ESA Assessment Rate until you have undergone the Works Capability Assessment (WCA) and a decision has been made.

bro58

8 years 6 months ago #142458 by

cc120 wrote: Also, if I am not able to acquire fit notes for the duration of the assessment, what is the process for returning to JSA?

cc120,

If you cannot obtain continuous fit notes to cover you, as you would then be classed as fit for work, you would have to close your ESA claim by informing DWP and make a fresh claim for JSA.

bro58

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142460 by
Hi cc120,

Just to add with respect to JSA,

As well as allowing short periods of sickness consisting of a period of no more than two weeks no more than twice in a JSP/12 month period, since 30/03/15 there is now the option of JSA allowing an extended period of sickness for up to 13 weeks.

You would still have to supply a fit note to JSA, and you would be paid JSA, but you should not have to comply with your Job Seeking activities within the period of sickness.

This amendment was brought in to try and deter JSA claimants from claiming ESA and ending up on it long term.

See : DM Memo 9-15

N.B. This information is only pertinent to claimants who already have an active JSA Claim running.

You cannot present a fit note when trying to start a new JSA Claim, they will not accept it, or your new claim.

bro58

More
8 years 6 months ago #143192 by Gordon
cc120

I'm not sure what you were trying to post but it hasn't made it to the forum :)

Please repost your question.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.