× Members

Diabetes and PIP

More
8 years 6 months ago #141625 by LoisClark
Diabetes and PIP was created by LoisClark
Firstly, I found your advice about the questions they ask at a Face-To-Face for PIP very useful in my recent application process. I had already read the Assessor's Guide and Decision Maker's Guides and how they are taught to trick people etc. But I had not found a list of questions they would ask until your guides. Hopefully, I am going to be okay as I am quite a clear cut case.

However, I am now trying to help a relative who has Type 1 Diabetes and they also have mental health issues. They need supervision all of the time as they are unable to know that they are going hypo. They also have frequent hypos.

They got DLA but have failed to get PIP and it is now going to tribunal.

I therefore wondered if you could please tell me if there are any precedents for diabetics getting PIP - especially those with other issues?

Thank You In Advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #141638 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Diabetes and PIP
LC

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I would not expect there to be any "precedents" in regard to Diabetes, PIP looks at the issues that result from a condition rather than the condition itself, one person with Type 1 may have it controlled and suffer no significant limitations to their daily activities and someone else may suffer significant issues.

So they need to go back to each of the PIP activities and look at whether they can do them reliably for the majority of days. So as an example would there be a risk to their safety if they had a hypo while Preparing Food or Washing and Bathing, do they need assistance with Managing Treatments. Do they need someone with them if the Go Out in case they had a hypo?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 6 months ago #141640 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Diabetes and PIP
comment

This message contains confidential information

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
8 years 6 months ago #141644 by LoisClark
Replied by LoisClark on topic Diabetes and PIP
Thank you Gordon. That is what I have advised the people who are trying to sort it out for them. For example, I have Diabetes Type 1 and have complete control. I doubt very much my Diabetes will add anything to my personal PIP application. For me, I have other issues for why I am applying for PIP.

However, my relative is a diabetic with no control over their diabetes and the whole essence of their application has been that they need 100% supervision/someone near by, not just due to diabetes but for mental health issues too! I do not know what was written on their form by their caregivers as I only got involved after the MR as they knew I had done a lot of research into PIP due to my own circumstances.

I am drawing a blank with mobility though. The only descriptor that would come close to them and get them Mobility is 13f. But the person accompanying has to be navigating for that descriptor to apply doesn't it? 13d doesn't apply as they need supervision on all journeys.

I thought I saw a post on here a while back from an epileptic who had managed to get Enhanced Mobility. So this made me think that perhaps Mobility wouldn't be such a shut door to my relative after all? Especially as they have to be able to do the activity safely in order to be considered able to do it.

I have advised them on descriptors I believe could be applied to them in Daily Living. However people's thoughts on mobility would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.

More
8 years 6 months ago #141655 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Diabetes and PIP
LC

Although the DWP think this is about navigation the legal definitions of the activities make no such reference, there is also now Case Law in this area, see the latest PIP Claim guide for details.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.