× Members

New Here

• Paul
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #141668 by Paul
New Here was created by Paul
Hello people. Im not sure whats going on to be honest. I just paid my 20 pound and joined. I went for a ESA assesment and near the end of the assesment i nearly died right in front of her as my heart had a funny 'do' so she sent me straight to hospital.

I was on ESA but now Im in something called Support Group saying that i have a severe health problem and theres no way back to work and my payments have gone up. Yes they sent a letter with about 6 pages of gobbledegook and i havent got a clue whats going on tbh. So i found myself here. As it looks like from your shout box there are a lot of happy members.

On a side note does anyone know how to get support n help againt the tax office as they have made a massive error and are harrassing me and asking for huge amounts of money claiming i had two jobs, which is impossible as one job could kill me never mind two. I have repeatedly told them this but the lady wont listen and i died two weeks ago with the huge amounts of stress, but luckily my heart kicked back in. I have tried HM tax office but im getting nowhere with them and i tried CAB but ive already done what CAB sent. Im going to end up dead and its scary.

Will me being on this Support Group make a difference to those foolish individuals who are trying to get money off me from the tax office? Like i said they have completely got it wrong but wont listen to me.

Can anyone tell me what this Support Group is and does anyone know of any free advice place to ring to get help with the tax office. Not to mention they destroyed my pension with huge amounts of emergency tax but Ive recieved no rebate....

Thank you for your time folks.

Eternaly Grateful

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #141708 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New Here
Paul

Welcome to the forum.

When you apply for ESA you will initially go through an assessment phase and then the DWP will make a Decision on your claim, there are three outcomes; they find you fit for work, they award you ESA and place you in a group called the Work Related Activity Group, or they award you ESA and place you in a group called the Support Group,

The Support Group is for claimants who are severely limited by their conditions, it has the highest weekly payments and you will not be asked to do anything, which would not be the case if you had been placed in the WRAG. So you got the best result you could.

I'm afraid we don't advise on tax issues on the forum, you could try the CAB for advice, other than that I think you may struggle to find free advice. At the risk of making matters worse, if your ESA is Contribution Based which it likely would be if you have been working prior to make the claim, it will say on the letter you have received, then it is liable to Tax and you will need to inform HMRC that you are receiving it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul

More
8 years 6 months ago #141709 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic New Here
Hi Paul and welcome to Benefits and Work. This link will help you to find where things are on the site.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I am sorry that you are going through this, it must be very stressful and upsetting for you.

It seems that you were put into the 'Support Group' (SG) of ESA as a result of your recent assessment. This means that you will not be required to attend 'work focussed interviews' or attend 'work related activities' as you would have if you had been allocated to the 'Work Related Activity Group' (WRAG). I'm afraid I don't think this will have any effect on your tax situation. All I can suggest for that is that you get face to face advice from someone who is an expert in this area.

ESA is an open-ended benefit but it can be reassessed at any time once 3 months have passed since the last decision. If you wish to have an idea of when to expect reassessment you can contact DWP and ask for the 'prognosis'. This will be on your computer screen and obtaining this information will not trigger any sort of reassessment.

If you have further questions please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Paul
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #141876 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic New Here
Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Mum has asked me to enquire as im on the same rates as her as she is on dla and is entitled to a dla car but she cant drive. As we dont understand what most things are as im used to working do i get entitled dla car or what are the rules. Mum says all the names for benefits have changed so she has no idea, like me. You see i do have a license and she doesnt. Thank you for your help in your previous posts to me.

More
8 years 6 months ago #141892 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New Here
Hi Paul

We only approve post during opening times so it can mean that your posts will not appear in the forum for some time.

If you are receiving DLA High Rate Mobility or PIP Enhanced Rate Mobility, then there is the option to use your Mobility payment to lease a car.

If you are both eligible, then your mother can lease a car and you can be a named driver although there would be restrictions on your usage, or you can lease a car.

The Motability site is on the following link.

www.motability.co.uk/

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.