× Members

DLA to PIP - I'd Rather Not :-(

More
8 years 7 months ago #141752 by Terri64
DLA to PIP - I'd Rather Not :-( was created by Terri64
Hello
My child receives DLA and has just turned 16. The DLA award is until April 2016. Today a letter arrived asking my child to submit a claim for PIP before end of October. The letter goes on to explain once the decision for PIP is decided the DLA claim will end. Her previous DLA claims were very easy and straightforward as there were lots of current detailed doctors reports.

My problem is I really don't want my child to have to go through the procedures/ordeal to claim PIP. She would find this incredibly stressful and the stress would definitely trigger her issues. My child is autistic and she has serious meltdowns, anxiety and heightened sensory issues. As soon as my daughter becomes anxious/stressed - she can not tolerate any clothes or shoes because they 'hurt' her body. At one time, it took us 18 months to get her back into wearing clothes and I just don't want to revisit this.

I would rather she foregoes her claim than put her through what would be a very difficult time. In August of next year, my own finances improve and I can meet the costs of all her additional needs.

Is there anyway I can get her DLA claim to run to the original date of April 2016 and then just not reapply?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #141758 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic DLA to PIP - I'd Rather Not :-(
As far as I understand the situation the DWP are changing DLA claims to PIP.
If you do not return the paperwork by the date stated you may well find the DLA stopped.
You may just as well find the DLA continues and you get a further letter requesting you comply with the first letter. If you do not then your DLA may be stopped.
The DWP is a law unto itself sometimes and it is not possible to say you will definitely get the money til next April or that it will definitely be stopped if you do nothing.
Following clarification.
The proceedure is for DLA to be suspended whilst a further invitation to apply for PIP is sent. If this is not returned within 4 weeks DLA stops permanently.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by foss27. Reason: Clarify Opinion Expressed.

More
8 years 7 months ago #141764 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA to PIP - I'd Rather Not :-(
Hi Terri,

Could you fill in the forms on your daughter's behalf and see how things go? If she is awarded PIP without a face 2 face assessment, all well and good. If she is called for such an assessment you can call a halt to proceedings.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.