× Members

Claiming ESA a second time and the Fit Note

More
8 years 6 months ago #141815 by DivideByZero
Claiming ESA a second time and the Fit Note was created by DivideByZero
Hi

I have just joined. I really need some clarification, because I don't know if I am going down the right route.

I am a 38 year old paraplegic, which means I can't walk and I have week upper body strength, and I have been like this since the age of three. Last year I got on to a year long apprenticeship(I've had no paid employment before this). That finished in early August. I am now trying to claim ESA because I have a disability. However, I am having trouble with my GP and the Fit Note. My GP doesn't understand why i need a fit note for claiming esa. A sick note or a statement on my disability yes, but not a fit note. So, I didn't know what to say to get her to write up a fit note.

can anyone shed any light on this please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #141818 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Claiming ESA a second time and the Fit Note

DivideByZero wrote: Hi

I have just joined. I really need some clarification, because I don't know if I am going down the right route.

I am a 38 year old paraplegic, which means I can't walk and I have week upper body strength, and I have been like this since the age of three. Last year I got on to a year long apprenticeship(I've had no paid employment before this). That finished in early August. I am now trying to claim ESA because I have a disability. However, I am having trouble with my GP and the Fit Note. My GP doesn't understand why i need a fit note for claiming esa. A sick note or a statement on my disability yes, but not a fit note. So, I didn't know what to say to get her to write up a fit note.

can anyone shed any light on this please?

I would start by asking, you might want to think of the best way to phrase this, why they are prepared to provide a sick not but not a Fit Note? Fit Notes replaced sick notes several years ago and perform the same function!

Following on from that, the basic question is do they consider you fit for work or not, this is not a binary question as there are more than two answers; either they believe you are fit for work in which case they should not provide a Fit Note, or they can consider you unfit, or they can consider you fit but with restrictions on any work that you might do, either of the latter would result in a Fit Note being issued and is sufficient for you to start an ESA claim.

However, you will need to provide additional Fit Notes until a Decision is made on your claim, so you will also need to discuss this with them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: DivideByZero

More
8 years 6 months ago #141824 by DivideByZero
Replied by DivideByZero on topic Claiming ESA a second time and the Fit Note
Many thanks for the clarification on that.

:)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.