× Members

Change from Carer to needing care

More
8 years 6 months ago #142004 by Billie31
Change from Carer to needing care was created by Billie31
Sorry to post again asking for help but I am stuck as to know what to do for the best and hoping someone might be able to advise me.

I currently receive carers allowance for looking after my severely disabled daughter of 29. Both my husband and myself both care for her as she requires such a great level of care. We are on income support as we are unable to work due to needing to care 24/7 for our daughter.

I have over the years become increasingly disabled myself due to the constant lifting etc. I currently have osteo arthritis and degeneration of my spine. I have suffered for the past 15 plus years with this but everyday it is getting worse.

I am in constant pain and I am currently being referred for a hip replacement. My spine is so crumbled there is nothing they can do for it except pain relief.

I am on countless medicines to deal with this. The main one is the fentanyl patch which I have 125mcg patch every 48 hours. The dose of this is quite high and makes me quite sleepy so I struggle to cope with the tiredness along with the constant pain.

I am increasingly unable to do much for myself anymore and am approaching the point of needing to claim PIP for myself but am wondering if it will be a nightmare and cause more problems than it would be worth due to the fact that we are on income support that is in my name and that I claim the carers allowance for our daughter.

If you can offer any advice I would be so grateful. I am sorry to bombard the forum with yet another post today. Thank you once again :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142012 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Change from Carer to needing care
Hi
I think you would have to consider changing the carers claim into your husbands name citing your deteriorating health.
Then you could claim PIP.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142023 by Billie31
Replied by Billie31 on topic Change from Carer to needing care
Thank you Foss27. I think you are right, that must be my first move. :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.