× Members

PIP tribunal when already on enhanced rate

More
8 years 6 months ago #142126 by Lydia Boorman
PIP tribunal when already on enhanced rate was created by Lydia Boorman
Hello

My daughter, Katie, and I are wondering if anyone has comments on this: My daughter is receiving enhanced rate of PIP for ME and Aspergers. She didn't score points for 3 areas that relate to cognitive functioning. It's already been to a mandatory reconsideration because they made a mistake and that has been rectified putting her onto the enhanced rate.

We are concerned that if and when her ME improves she will not have enough grounds to receive PIP at all for Aspergers alone if they don't recognise her cognitive difficulties this time round and use our 'acceptance' of their decision this time as grounds for not scoring points on renewal. Therefore we were set to appeal to the tribunal to get her difficulties recognised even though it won't make any difference to the benefit.

Would they accept an appeal or see it as a waste of time/resources?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Lydia and Katie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142130 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic PIP tribunal when already on enhanced rate
It is your right to appeal.
They may see it as a waste of time but it would be up to the panel to appraise.
The DWP can submit further evidence in their defence if they see fit but this would not be to the effect that you are wasting their time, they would have to stick to the facts and opinions of the evidence and application of the rules and regulations.
Whether or not it will make a difference in the future is a moot point.
When the time comes a new form will be sent and you will fill it in and submit all your evidence. If the ME has improved but the Aspergers hasn't you will submit evidence supporting the Aspergers and the assessment will be based on what you submit. The previous assessment will not be taken into account. If they make mistakes you will be able to quest a MR and appeal if that doesn't produce the outcome you expct based on your evidence. The previous claim history will not be relevant.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142132 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP tribunal when already on enhanced rate
You could not submit an appeal without a Mandatory Reconsideration having been already undertaken.

If you submit a request for a MR you would be saying that you were not happy with your award and asking DWP to look at it again.

As you are already on the enhanced rate, the only possible revision would be downwards...

Certainly with ESA, DWP stop considering descriptors once the score has been reached to award the benefit. I suspect that the same thing happens with PIP.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #142135 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP tribunal when already on enhanced rate
LB

My colleagues are obviously a little more diplomatic than I am.

There is no advantage to your appealing this award, all you would be doing would be risking it being reduce.

Don't do it!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #142155 by Lydia Boorman
Replied by Lydia Boorman on topic PIP tribunal when already on enhanced rate
Thank you for all your replies. It's really helpful to know that they don't look at previous forms. We were trying to save hassle at renewal time but it's a good feeling to save hassle now! Especially since we are battling to get Katie into the Support Group as well at battling a difficult work programme adviser. Many thanks indeed.
Lydia and Katie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.