× Members

epilepsy

More
8 years 6 months ago #142145 by amberinni
epilepsy was created by amberinni
hi can anyone give any advice, just starting to do an appeal on behalf of my son as he has been awarded only 2 points for daily living, pip. They say he can use a microwave to make a simple meal, he needs no help with anything else basically. anyone who has epilepsy will know this is rubbish, My son will not eat microwave food, and i thought it needed to be made using fresh ingredients anyway.
he also needs constant supervision whilst having a bath. need reminding to take his medication every day as he has a poor memory due to the side effects of the medication he takes . but the DM says no he needs no help. I intend to appeal this but cant seem to find anything that gives information on epilepsy, and would be very gratefull for any help that anyone can give

thankyou.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142151 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic epilepsy
You could try these people

www.epilepsy.org.uk

They even have an advice line to answer all your queries and an information section and lots of info and help.

• Lynsey
8 years 6 months ago #143222 by Lynsey
Replied by Lynsey on topic epilepsy
Unfortunately, the dwp are not counting needing supervision to have a bath if you have a shower in your house. I have seizures and recently found this out.

I think you would possibly need to argue that your son needed someone to be at home whilst he was in the shower if you do in fact ahve a shower at home.

I suppose it would also depend on the frequency of his seizures and whether or not he had any warning signals. (I don't and have them multiple times a day which limits pretty much everything and is very unpredictable)

I would definitely be asking for a reconsideration if he is not able to cook or drive or operate machinery.

It may help you to think of other examples outwith their ten categories of things he is not able to do because of seizures and short term memory loss.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143240 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic epilepsy
Lynsey

You've replied to several posts over the weekend that are several weeks old, whilst we have no problem with you doing this, it's unlikely that the original poster will se your response.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Lynsey
8 years 6 months ago #143256 by Lynsey
Replied by Lynsey on topic epilepsy
Sorry I hadn't noticed :(

More
8 years 6 months ago #143275 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic epilepsy
No worries Lynsey, we just don't want you wasting your time and energy!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.