× Members

DLA and spening time in france

More
8 years 6 months ago #142294 by caro
DLA and spening time in france was created by caro
For the last 3 years my husband who is a self employed international yacht broker and a fluent French speaker has been working a lot in France. For the last 23 years we have spent a months holiday each year in the same village and are now renting a small house there all year as he now works from home either here or in France. I have receive highest rate care and mobility DLA since the mid 90's and the last award in 2009 was for life!! I have a neurological condition similar to Ms and also suffer from very severe refractory depression. I travel every month between the two countries as we live conveniently situated in both countries to an airport and ferry ports. Each month the time I spend in each country is very variable and some months we travel twice a month. I am very dependant upon my husband for my care. Over a year in total I probably spend half the year in France and half in the Uk. Our two sons who are just 22 and 25 live in other parts of the Uk from our house and we regularly spend time with them and other family members who are scattered around the Uk.

I now have a compliance officer coming to see me at home next week he says it concerns my DLA and living in France. Naturally he would not say who had said I was living in France but did say they did not work with Border control. Sadly I think this is probably the work of a jealous neighbour as we live in a small cul du sac and the lady who is my main carer and has been for 25 years, has been asked many a time" are we moving to France" and she always simply says she does not know and like us feels that it none of other people's business. The officer says that he has to have a list of all the dates since 2009 ( when my sons were still at school) that I have travel to France!

It is only in the last 3 years when our youngest son went to university that I have been able to spend more time in France with my husband.

What is the problem with my DLA? My understanding was that as long as I was not permanently resident in France both parts of my DLA were not affected. I also read that although originally you were not allowed to spend more than 26 weeks outside of the UK that a recent European ruling had said that if only temporarily resident in France/an EU country this was unlawful. I fully understand that if we become permanently resident in France that my support group ESA and care part of DLA is transferable but not the mobility part as France does not have an equivalent.

I would be grateful for any help and advice Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142296 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA and spening time in france
Caro

I'm terribly sorry but we do not deal with the exporting or claiming of benefits while abroad.

I would recommend that you get face to face advice, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Have a look at the following

www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/illness...-disability-benefits

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.