× Members

ESA SDA

• HadEnough
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #142331 by HadEnough
ESA SDA was created by HadEnough
Ok, a little bit stressed here- I've just had a call from DWP with a decision on SDA.

I get ESA and PIP higher rate Daily living and Mobility, however I share a house with my elderly, infirm father- he has State Pension.

I'm told that I'm not entitled to SDA as I share a house with my Father!
It appears that at nearly 80, and with his own health failing he is expected to take care of anything I may need help with,
That's ok as he can claim Carers Allowance...in theory

The thing is he can't claim this due to his receipt of Pension.

This seems completely unreasonable, where do I stand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142344 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA SDA

HadEnough wrote: Ok, a little bit stressed here- I've just had a call from DWP with a decision on SDA.

I get ESA and PIP higher rate Daily living and Mobility, however I share a house with my elderly, infirm father- he has State Pension.

I'm told that I'm not entitled to SDA as I share a house with my Father!
It appears that at nearly 80, and with his own health failing he is expected to take care of anything I may need help with,
That's ok as he can claim Carers Allowance...in theory

The thing is he can't claim this due to his receipt of Pension.

This seems completely unreasonable, where do I stand?

I assume you mean the Severe Disability Premium (SDP)!

I'm afraid the legislation takes no account of the age of the person that you are living with, the only way around this would be if your father was also in receipt of a qualifying benefit such as AA or MRC or HRC DLA.

Whilst your father cannot be paid Carers Allowance as it is classed as an overlapping benefit with the State Pension, if he is eligible for Pension Credit he would receive the Carers Addition if he made a claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• HadEnough
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #142361 by HadEnough
Replied by HadEnough on topic ESA SDA
Thank you Gordon. Indeed I do mean SDP, brain-fart moment there!

I'll look into AA and pension credit- but I don't think he is eligible. He does have a small private pension, as well as State. but no Benefits.
He would have to claim PIP.

It just seems completely wrong and unreasonable, given the circumstances, he's nearly 80!
I did expect him to be classed as an exempt person,, oh well.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142363 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA SDA

HadEnough wrote: Thank you Gordon. Indeed I do mean SDP, brain-fart moment there!

I'll look into AA and pension credit- but I don't think he is eligible. He does have a small private pension, as well as State. but no Benefits.
He would have to claim PIP.

It just seems completely wrong and unreasonable, given the circumstances, he's nearly 80!
I did expect him to be classed as an exempt person,, oh well.

It's AA or nothing as he is too old to claim PIP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: HadEnough

• bro58
8 years 6 months ago #142365 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA SDA
Hi HE,

There is a guide to AA Claims on : This Page.

bro58

• HadEnough
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #142368 by HadEnough
Replied by HadEnough on topic ESA SDA
Thanks again Gordon. It's more of a flaming minefield than I ever expected.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.