× Members

PIP appeal

More
8 years 6 months ago #142440 by baz4449
PIP appeal was created by baz4449
Just got my PiP decision, Care element only,no mobility. I've phoned and written for a mandatory reconsideration. If I have to appeal am I best asking for a written decision or to appear in person due to mobility issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142454 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP appeal

Baz49 wrote: Just got my PiP decision, Care element only,no mobility. I've phoned and written for a mandatory reconsideration. If I have to appeal am I best asking for a written decision or to appear in person due to mobility issues.

It's a delicate decision that only you can make. on one side, by travelling to the hearing you are exposing yourself to questions on how you have achieved this, on the other hand by attending you may be able to answer any concerns that the panel may have about how you are effected.

A couple of further points. PIP activities must be performed reliably for the majority of days for the claimant not to score points, you may be able to explain why one journey does not show that your submission is wrong.

Secondly, statistically the success rate for a hearing the claimant attends is a lot higher than for one that they don't.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #143687 by baz4449
Replied by baz4449 on topic PIP appeal or not to appeal
I was previously on DLA, standard for care and high rate for mobility. I was told in July to switch to PIP and was awarded standard for care only in October no mobility. eight points care, zero for mobility. I asked for a mandatory reconsideration straight away.. Today received decision. same standard for care but now standard for mobility 10 points. Would you call it a day and thank your lucky stars or press on for an appeal. My gut feel is leave alone now , but I still feel grieved with the situation and the loss of £36 per week.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143703 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic PIP appeal or not to appeal
You need to look at how the decision to award ten points was arrived at.
If it is purely on moving then someone is saying you can move more than 20 metres but less than 50.
You could look at this as an attempt to appease you by giving you standard rate or you could say they made a fair decision. Only you can decide.
Is your aggrievedness because you deserve 12 points? Or is your gut feeling saying lucky to get ten? You can reapply due to deterioration in the future if you accept this now.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143727 by baz4449
Replied by baz4449 on topic PIP appeal or not to appeal
My award for Moving Around, 10 points, is what I expected at the beginning but I have been awarded no points for Planning and Following a journey, Due to my mobility issues I cannot undertake a journey without the assistance of another person. I expected 10 points for this under the "Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid" . Emphasis on without another person. The report says "Evidence at the assessment showed no impairment with memory or cognition and you are not receiving any medication for anxiety or depression"
As I pointed out in my reassessment letter, its not my mind that a problem its my lack of mobility and assistance required. I'm only loath to push on due to the stress and time it takes and as you always point out ,things can go the other way.
My award is to Sept 2017. By next April I will be 65 and I will I be correct in expecting at the review in 2017 my mobility payments and care will alter to the Assistance payments for over 65,s

More
8 years 6 months ago #143742 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP appeal
Baz

I'm afraid I would not expect you to score points for the Going Out Activity due to physical problems you have with walking and therefore needing assistance, this activity only looks at cognitive, mental health and sensory issues, physical ones are only covered under the Moving Around activity.

Providing you continue to meet the criteria for PIP your award will continue beyond the age of 65.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.