× Members

Blue Badge - Never take anything for granted

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142590 by y_not4
Although disabled and receiving PIP my comments relate to my son who had an horrific motorcycle accident in May 2012, injures included having his right arm amputated. He was granted a Blue Badge which was due to expire a few weeks ago. He asked me to complete his application.
Oh dear, they have changed the criteria so it is all about mobility now! He plays football so how can he be disabled? I looked at the law (Statutory instrument) relating to equality and found that regardless of the demands for a Blue Badge the council have to make reasonable adjustments to suit.

I used this argument as, once he finally began driving again (automatic obviously) he was assessed and shown how to go on. His car is a three door with the ignition key on the right. The method is to check the car is in park, insert the key, start the engine AND THEN get in. In a normal bay there is rarely space to open a small car door let alone open a big door fully to access the ignition!

Warned him that the likelihood of being granted a badge was very low and would probably need to fight to even stand a chance.

Well, blow me down ... three weeks later he called to say his new badge had arrived!

Stunned - but I thought I'd share this as just when you think you stand no chance at all the authorities do sometimes do the right thing!

The moral is if you don't try you won't get but if you do try ... you never know!
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.