× Members

Mental function assessmnt

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #142867 by Lynsey
Mental function assessmnt was created by Lynsey
Hi there I am a new member.

I was wonderin if anyone could tell me what the mental fucntion assessment at a PIP assessment is? Is this to test your memory?

I have had a brain injury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142882 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Mental function assessmnt
Hi

Have you read the PIP guide?

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/dla.php?fld=bw...0a895c140329331dfb86

Mental function assessment is made by answering on the form how your mental function affects you in carrying out the activities listed in the questions. For example planning journeys, making familiar or unfamiliar journeys would be affected by memory loss presumably.

There is no set memory test to determine a persons memory skills level.

More
8 years 6 months ago #142896 by Kayceee
Replied by Kayceee on topic Mental function assessmnt
Hi Lynsey,
I was asked to remember four words then asked for them four words later on. I was also asked to read a paragraph on a card aloud. It was ridiculous to be honest and has no bearing on mental function at all but they seem to think its relevant
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lynsey

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #142948 by Lynsey
Replied by Lynsey on topic Mental function assessmnt
Thanks, yes I have read the form a few times. I must have forgotten. Or perhaps just didn't understand part of it.

Kaycee, my friend told me that her brother's girlfriend was asked to remember 3 words as. Don't kow how they think that can possibly take the place of a proper neurological / psychological examination.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142962 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Mental function assessmnt
Its pseudo scientific.

They should either test memory function properly or forget it IMO.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.