× Members

DWP requesting mobile number - where do I stand?

More
8 years 6 months ago #142935 by tinytrevor
Hi All

I have received a request for information from the DWP regarding my claim, which is reasonable and I am happy to answer the questions, however the part I am not happy about is that in bold on the form it requests my mobile telephone number. I have previously clearly stated in my claim forms that I do not provide a telephone number due to my health problems and the subsequent problems using the phone. I am therefore extremely unhappy about the idea about giving them my mobile number, as in addition to the above problem with telephones, it feels like a further invasion of my privacy.

The way the form is worded it doesn't appear to be optional, which makes me concerned about how to handle this. Does anyone know where I stand with this? And any advice about how best to respond?

Any advice or similar experiences would be gratefully received.

Thanks all
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142946 by Gordon
tinytrevor

There is no requirement for you to provide a mobile or home phone number to the DWP, however, you should be aware that if you have at any time provided the information to any other Government department then they may already have your number of their systems.

Even if this is the case, there is no requirement for you to take a call from the DWP, as all of the benefit claim or re-assessment processes can be carried out on paper.

If they call you then you do not need to proceed with the call, it is perfectly acceptable for you to state that you cannot manage a call and for them to put their questions in writing.

There are occasions where it may be to your advantage to take a call, for example if they call about a Decision, you will need to weigh up whether you can take the call, especially if your reasons for not taking a call are your stated limitations.

Gordon

tags: @phonecalls

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tinytrevor

More
8 years 6 months ago #142953 by tinytrevor
Replied by tinytrevor on topic DWP requesting mobile number - where do I stand?
Many thanks for your quick and helpful response Gordon. Just a couple of further questions if that's okay:

1) Do you know if it is written down anywhere that you do not (legally or otherwise) need to provide a telephone number?

I take your point about them having my telephone number from other interactions with gov depts, which is not ideal but feels more acceptable than a mobile number.

2) Do you have any advise about how to respond to the question?

I was thinking about using the same wording I used on my ESA claim form. Do you think this is acceptable? I suppose I am worried about not providing the number and being penalised, as the terms of what you are signing say something about being in trouble if you do not provide information requested....

So horrible and stressful for such a small thing that one would just ignore from anyone else but past experiences with DWP make me feel so anxious and cautious about trying to do the right thing.

Thanks
Trevor

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142966 by foss27
We have answered this question elsewhere.

You do not have to provide a phone number. Its just basic rights. As Gordon said you may miss a call you might have wanted to take but thats a chance you take.

Theoretically they cannot discriminate against you for not giving a phone number. In practice you kinda know they will so you may have to be ready to complain against such treatment.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143002 by tinytrevor
Replied by tinytrevor on topic DWP requesting mobile number - where do I stand?
Hi Foss27

Thanks for your reply and confirming the situation with regards to phone numbers/ telephone calls, much appreciated. Apologies, I have obviously missed where it has been stated elsewhere on the site.

I suppose my immediate concern is what to do about the section on the form asking for a mobile number eg. leave blank, put N/A or a short statement like I have included on previous claim forms about why I have not provided a phone number.

The exact wording on the form is: "Please can you update us with your current mobile telephone number and, if applicable, your email address. This will enable us to keep you informaed more quickly about your claim.".

Any advice or comments on what others have done with regards to this or what others think is the best way to handle would be very welcome.

Thanks all
Trevor

More
8 years 6 months ago #143013 by Gordon
Trevor

Any of the options that you want, you cannot be penalised for not supplying the information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: tinytrevor

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.