× Members

PIP ASSESSMENT QUERY?

More
8 years 6 months ago #143006 by woodsie
PIP ASSESSMENT QUERY? was created by woodsie
Hi Guys!
Quick question.
When attending my PIP assessment the information leaflet says bring meds, aids and appliances.
I hope this isn’t a daft question and I know some items are always with me; but do they want me to take everything so they can see it as proof.
These would be: dosette box, liquid level indicator, talking scales (food),BP monitor, talking colour detector, vibrating note detector(£5,£10,£20),talking watch,talking book player and my Guide Dog.

The location of the centre is unknown to me and my dog;as I don’t have a clue where to go; neither does my dog. (might as well take a rabbit on a piece of string) It is a local centre but unknown to me,my wife is taking me by car.

Would you advise I still take the dog?

Quick mention about a guide dogs use regarding unfamiliar journeys/routes/destinations it might help someone?

On the PIP2 form it says:
Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person,
assistance dog or orientation aid.

As a blind person I can follow known routes with my dog, my long cane or with human assistance, however guide dogs do not follow unknown routes (neither do long canes as again I wouldn’t know wear I was going); they follow the owners verbal instructions only.
To follow a route it has to be taught by a mobility officer.
I therefore always need human assistance on unfamiliar routes.
The DWPs thinking that you could follow an unfamiliar route using a guide dog if you have one is seriously flawed!
I think they make the assumption that because they can go anywhere and everywhere, they can work to the same limitations;they cant!!!

Thanks for any response in advance.
Regards Matchseller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143016 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP ASSESSMENT QUERY?
matchseller

I would take whatever aids it is practical for you to take, so the pill box but maybe not a commode :)

As to the dog, if you would normally have it with you in this type of journey then I would definitely take it with you.

I have to admit that I didn't know that you and the dog had to be trained to follow a route, although it is obvious now that you mention it, your point about always having to have someone with you on an unfamiliar route is an important one that you might want to try and raise at the assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodsie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.