× Members

Decision Making

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143073 by Lynsey
Decision Making was created by Lynsey
HI there, does anyone know if the original PIP paper form about how your disability affects you is sent to the decision maker for them to consider as well as the health professions report? Or is it only the report from the health profssional.

I have a long standing brain injury was at a PIP assessment today with my carer and the health professional showed no insight into my condition. He was a paramedic he said and even admitted he didn't know anything about brain injury.

Obviously I am quite worried about this. Especially since he refused to take my addittional medical evidence that I'd brought. I hope a decision maker will be able to take what I've written on my form into consideration because I have no faith in this person writing anything accurate about me.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143075 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Decision Making
Hi Lynsey,

The DM should have a copy of your form and everything else that you have submitted. However, the DMs have no formal training and they do give most weight to the HPC's report.

You mention extra evidence that you wanted to submit on the day. Did you also send this to DWP?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #143093 by Lynsey
Replied by Lynsey on topic Decision Making
Hi there, I was told to only send medical evidence that was 2 years in date. My brain injury was 20 odd years ago but it's unlikely my conditiion will ever change. I didn't send any medical evidence in just my form and a letter from my carer. i later found out i could send stuff in that was older if it was a long standing one that hadn't changed. I took a folder of stuff to the assessment and apart from one letter that stated I had had many memory tests done proving I had a cognitive impairment he point blank refused to look at ithe rest of the stuff and said it would not fit in the envelope for sending anway additional info.

I have decided now just to wait and see what happens and not send any additional stuff because I'm worried it will hlold up my claim even longer.

My carer did say that the HP clearly didn't really understand my condition but that it was quite obvious i had problems answering the quesetions and was getting very disorientated and upset and she had to answer half the questions for me. I don't think that the HP will find any inconsistencies in my form because everything i've said was true.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Having read the appel booklet on the website already my carer and I were able to identify several things that the HP didn't do at the assessment that he should have done. So we taken notes of this in case it is needed in an appeal.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143108 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Decision Making
Lynsey

Assessors are required by their own guidance to accept and read any additional information provided by the claimant on the day of the assessment, their failing to do so would be a reason for a formal complaint (if that is something that you want to do), however, you might want to hold off doing so until you have seen a copy of the assessment report.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #143220 by Lynsey
Thanks Gordon.

I will hold off from doing that till i see what he has said about me. It may be that he agrees with what I have said in my form. It's very hard to tell because I couldn't see what he was typing. I would't want to get anyone into trouble unneccesarily.

• Lynsey
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #143221 by Lynsey
He did say I could send the stuff off myself if I wanted and said I could take an envelope to copy down the address.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.