× Members

ESA review

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143096 by Jackie
ESA review was created by Jackie
I am carer and Appointee to my son who has High functioning Autism and is a virtual recluse. He refuses to take medication for his depression and has obsessive thoughts and dark moods..
He is in the ESA support group.
He has received yet another new form to fill in regarding his ability to work. It asks all the same questions it did in the past. Nothing has improved and he is now painfully thin at eight and a half stones and 5;10".
Why do I have to go through all this again. My every hour is spent trying to prevent him from doing something stupid. I have asked for help from the GP, NAS, and Social worker but there is no external help for him.
The professionals all say he won't co-operate and that's it.
I can't fill in the form and put this.
Is there anyone in a similar position to me? I can't bear this future of no help but tons of complex forms to fill out every 5 minutes.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143112 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA review
Hi Jackie,

I'm sorry that you have so much to cope with, I can understand how these forms might make you feel!

However, the whole philosophy behind the welfare reforms is that every claimant will be subject to periodic reassessments rather than being allowed to 'languish on benefits' (their words, not mine!). The government/DWP argue that even people whose condition is not expected to change can find ways of becoming accustomed to, or working round, their limitations.

Each reassessment should be treated as a first application by the claimant, with every fact recorded in detail. Don't ever assume that the DWP already know these things!

Edited to add - if you have your previous information stored on your computer, it will be easier to 'tweak' it as required next time.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143159 by Benson
Replied by Benson on topic ESA review
Hope the OP doesn't mind me posting here, but didn't feel my question warranted a unique post. Does this mean DWP are once again re-assessing existing ESA claimants ? I thought that was unofficially postponed. But I presume it has restarted again ?

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143167 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic ESA review
I think reassessments were only unofficially given lower priority due to the DWP being overwhelmed and understaffed.
However there are different performance levels in different parts of the country so some areas may be better able to cope with reassessments. I also recall people waiting so long to get a decision that they were getting a decision and a reassessment virtually in the same post.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.