× Members

PIP ASSESSMENT QUESTION?

More
8 years 6 months ago #143133 by woodsie
PIP ASSESSMENT QUESTION? was created by woodsie
Hi Guys!
A bit of advice please. PIP tomorrow. Not sure if I can I put excerpts from PIP guidance on here? If not just a response will do thanks!

Can you at your assessment point out to the assessor why you think a specific descriptor should apply in conjunction with their recommendations from their own assessment guidance. Finding this info was relatively easy;if i can find it and i am not getting £150 an assessment to do it why do they make so many errors?

For example.
READING .This one scares me rigid.
I have been assessed using out of date/incorrect criteria before (assessed 10 months after guidance had changed district judge allowed appeal and I won)and the info below clearly states that using a screenreader is not counted as reading; but what if the HCP classes it as a low vision aid like a mag.(would they listen to me relating the info below which is correct)
Ive gone from 8 points to 2 if they don’t know what their doing!

Cannot read or understand signs, symbols or words at all.
For example: may apply to claimants who require another person to read everything for them due to a learning disability or severe visual impairment
GUIDENCE
In this activity, to be considered able to read, we have stated that claimants must be able to SEE the information they are reading.
For the purposes of this activity, tactile and “auditory” methods used to access written information – such as using Braille will not be considered reading.

This approach ensures that individuals who might need expensive equipment or another person to be able to access written information are given appropriate priority in the assessment.
We are aware that information is not always available in alternative formats. This
new activity takes this into account by assuming that such formats are not available and considering the support individuals need to access information in standard formats.

Preparing food; the scoring descriptor for a severely visually impared person they put forward is below however where is the ability to read imformation required in preparing food,know if food has gone off, using knives ect, taken into accout?
Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal.
This descriptor also applies to claimants who are unable to determine whether food is safe to eat for example, that meat is properly cooked –due to
sensory or cognitive impairment.
I am so stressed that ive been awake before 3 am everyday this week because my fate rests in the hands of someone whom i have no faith in their ability to decide my future.
It takes about 12 years to become a consultant in any field of medicine;but these guys are experts in all fields in 7.5 days.
Lawn mower mechanics fixing Ferrari’s springs to mind.
Thank you for any response in advance.
Regards Matchseller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143142 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP ASSESSMENT QUESTION?
matchseller

The PIP Assessment guide is in the public domain, so there should be no issues with you referencing it here or elsewhere.

In principle I see no problem with you ensuring that the assessor has a full and accurate understanding of your limitations, which may include your referencing the DWP guidance, however, I think that there will be a fine line between you doing this and telling them how to do their job!

I would suggest that you choose your words wisely and be attentive to the mood of the assessor. Perhaps one way to approach the subject would be to quote the guidance and ask them for their opinion on whether they think you meet it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodsie

More
8 years 6 months ago #143148 by woodsie
Replied by woodsie on topic PIP ASSESSMENT QUESTION?
Hi Gordon!
Thank you for your measured response.
I can see that what you've said makes sense and is a better approach to take during the assessment.
I will try and keep a level head and stay calm; but emotional and so stressed.

I hope i have an assessor who listens!
Thanks again.
Matchseller.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143150 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP ASSESSMENT QUESTION?
Best of luck. Although I always think that to be a somewhat inappropriate sentiment for any of these events as luck should not really play a part. :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodsie

More
8 years 6 months ago #143225 by woodsie
Replied by woodsie on topic PIP ASSESSMENT QUESTION?
Hi Gordon!
Just to let others know how my assessment went!
The assessment was short and the lady was pleasant.
She said she had briefly scanned my very detailed evidence and would thoroughly assess the content before submitting a report.
Asked very few questions they are all
listed below. The medical bit was squeezing her fingers!
was my blindness life long.
what could i see.
i said i had a guide dog but that she didn't work on unfamiliar routes;she said she knew that and that DWP make sweeping assumptions.
what meds i took and why.
noted i had two hearing aids.
asked about my balance.
asked me to squeeze her hands.
she squeezed my hand and said you will be fine with getting PIP don't worry!
My wife said she was a nice open faced honest looking lady;and didn't ask any leading questions.
I hope shes right will let the forum know when i get a decision and her report.
Regards Matchseller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.