× Members

pip reconsideration and descriptor on toilet needs

More
8 years 6 months ago #143165 by slcook10
Hi
Wondered if you could help me out I had my medical for pip got my award saying I had only 4 points on each so couldn't get pip have asked for a mandatory reconsideration but I got no points for toileting I have a ileostomy stoma but I have a large hernia at the side (as well as stoma regularly ulcerating) my bags leak continuously and falls off regularly emptying contents over me etc very embarrassing causing me to have go home shower change clothes etc my daughter has to do washing etc I never go to unfamiliar places on my own because of this I cant have anymore surgery to correct this but when I tried to explain this to hcp she said its irrelevant as I can get on a toilet etc and its the bags that are at fault which is untrue so I got no points for this is it worth arguing on this point and would it be worth arguing this with esa as I got put in wrag group and they are trying to get me to voluntary work which I would be mortified when my bag fell off there Please any advice would be welcomed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143172 by foss27
If its untrue the bags are at fault you maust be able to get backup from your GP or consultant to this effect and you could appeal.

Did you submit this evidence to the DWP in your original evidence in support of your claim? If so it makes appealing easier as they have ignored the evidence and you can point to this in your appeal.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143185 by annief

sharon cook wrote: Hi
Wondered if you could help me out I had my medical for pip got my award saying I had only 4 points on each so couldn't get pip have asked for a mandatory reconsideration but I got no points for toileting I have a ileostomy stoma but I have a large hernia at the side (as well as stoma regularly ulcerating) my bags leak continuously and falls off regularly emptying contents over me etc very embarrassing causing me to have go home shower change clothes etc my daughter has to do washing etc I never go to unfamiliar places on my own because of this I cant have anymore surgery to correct this but when I tried to explain this to hcp she said its irrelevant as I can get on a toilet etc and its the bags that are at fault which is untrue so I got no points for this is it worth arguing on this point and would it be worth arguing this with esa as I got put in wrag group and they are trying to get me to voluntary work which I would be mortified when my bag fell off there Please any advice would be welcomed

Sharon, the HCP is wrong. You have a stoma which is an appliance for toiletting, so you should have been awarded 2 points at least. Stomas regularly leak or don't adhere due to problems with the skin, or in your case the hernia. If you are unable to manage the stoma yourself without the help of another person, you could be entitled to 4 points for toiletting.
As for ESA, if you have regular substantial leakage from your stoma, this could satisfy the conditions for the support group.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143197 by Gordon
annief

I agree with your thoughts for PIP, but the requirements for ESA, WRAG or SG, are far more complicated than you suggest and I would not expect even a substantial leakage, on it's own, to be enough to score points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.