× Members

Preparing Food PIP

• JanN
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143175 by JanN
Preparing Food PIP was created by JanN
Hi,

My husband was assessed recently for PIP. He is completely bedridden and cannot walk at all. The assessor acknowledged he cannot walk at all or manoeuvre himself at all. His care needs are very high due to his pain levels and exhaustion. He cannot get to the kitchen and severe pain and fatigue means he cannot cook at all. This was explained in detail in the form and at the assessment. The assessor has however decided that I could bring him the ingredients while he is in bed and he can do some chopping while laying in bed and therefore only awarded him 4 points for Preparing food section. I am dismayed. Can it really be argued that he can contribute towards cooking while he is completely bed ridden? Any movements exhaust him and worsen his pains, I cannot understand what he could usefully contribute to preparing a meal from bed! We have trouble as it is with him spilling the food he eats, I can't imagine the accidents and mess that would be made if he tried to prepare food in bed let alone the aggravation it would cause his pains and energy levels.

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143180 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Preparing Food PIP
Hi Jan and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site, this link should help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I agree, this sounds absolutely ridiculous! Your only way forward now is to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, you have 1 month from the date of the decision letter to do this. You can make the request over the phone but we do recommend that you follow this up in writing so that you have a 'paper trail' should it be needed.

The process of submitting a MR request Is explained in our PIP guide. This will also guide you as to the best way to phrase your husband's limitations so that they are in words that the DWP decision maker understands.

PIP help for claimants

If/when you have further questions, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You wil find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now, or click on your username when you are logged into the site :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #143198 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Preparing Food PIP
Jan

The legal test is for the claimant to prepare and cook a simple meal, even if they were classed as being able to prepare the food, which I agree with Mrs H is ridiculous and does not follow the spirit of the law, if they are unable to then cook the meal they cannot be consider to have passed the test.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

• JanN
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #143209 by JanN
Replied by JanN on topic Preparing Food PIP
Thank you Mrs H and Gordon for your helpful replies. That is really interesting regarding the law and needing to be able to prepare and cook food. Does the requirement of being able to prepare and cook food apply only to descriptor (f) cannot cook at all or does it equally apply to descriptor (e) needing assistance to prepare a simple meal? If the assistance needed from a carer is the cooking aspect but some of the preparation happens from bed does this change things? I agree it is ridiculous and the fact remains my husband cannot prepare from bed anyway but I am still wondering whether the requirement to be able to contribute to both the preparation and the cooking applies to descriptor (e)?

Many thanks

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143213 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Preparing Food PIP

JanN wrote: Thank you Mrs H and Gordon for your helpful replies. That is really interesting regarding the law and needing to be able to prepare and cook food. Does the requirement of being able to prepare and cook food apply only to descriptor (f) cannot cook at all or does it equally apply to descriptor (e) needing assistance to prepare a simple meal? If the assistance needed from a carer is the cooking aspect but some of the preparation happens from bed does this change things? I agree it is ridiculous and the fact remains my husband cannot prepare from bed anyway but I am still wondering whether the requirement to be able to contribute to both the preparation and the cooking applies to descriptor (e)?

Many thanks

The test is to prepare and cook a simple meal, this applies to all of the Descriptors.

OK this is not a simple argument as it relies on a number of legal definitions, you would also need to include "reliably" and "for the majority of days.

So (f) means in simple terms, that even with the use of aids or appliances or someone to provide prompting, supervision or assistance, the claimant cannot prepare and cook a simple meal.

The meaning of (e) hangs on the definitions of;

supervision” means the continuous presence of another person for the purpose of ensuring the safety of the claimant. Note that the supervising person is not involved in the preparation and cooking of the meal.

“assistance” means physical intervention by another person and does not include speech. I think it reasonable to argue that whilst assistance might include the replacement of some functions that the claimant might perform; lifting of pans as an example, it does not mean the replacement of a significant part of the test, either preparing the food or cooking it.

So I believe it possible to argue, even if it was believed that he could prepare the food (which I don't believe is reasonable), that his inability to cook could not be replaced by someone assisting him, but you will need to explain in detail why this is the case.

Gordon

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JanN

• JanN
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #143214 by JanN
Replied by JanN on topic Preparing Food PIP
Thank you so much for your very helpful answer :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.