× Members

Worried about ESA Assessment this week

More
8 years 6 months ago #143254 by Jaenor
I was on incapacity benefit for several years, after being retired from my job on medical grounds. After they did away with Incapacity benefit, I had to have another assessment, and they said I couldn't get ESA, and I had to go to the Job Centre every week.

I did not appeal, because the rejection letter arrived at around the same time that my Mother died, and I just couldn't- I wasn't in any state to take them on, so I just went along with it. They even told me off at the Job Centre for not appealing, but it was past the deadline by then, so I was given a special advisor who was (in their words!) for people who were too ill to work.

I basically had to go to the Job Centre every two weeks and send my CV to a minimum number of employers every week, (never had any replies back, of course) but my advisor was really helpful- put me in touch with MIND, who helped me fill in forms, (like PIP, which I did get the minimum for that eventually) and she pushed me to apply for ESA again when enough time had lapsed for me to do it again.

A woman from MIND helped me do the form for ESA back in April... I've been waiting since then to hear when my assessment would be. She asked me the questions, and wrote down what I said.
I've gone through the guides here, and now realise that she ticked quite a few of the boxes as 'no' when 'it varies' would have been better. (she made a copy of it for me, before it was posted off to them) and now I'm really worried.

It seems that so many people get rejected even if bedridden... I have severe back and neck problems, and also clinical long-term depression and anxiety... I'm shaking as I type this, and starting to cry.

The assessment centre has no parking, so the friend who is driving me there can't stay with me, (which he offered to do) so I'm going to have to go in alone... the examiner the last time noted I'd come alone, but what else could I do?? They even say on the directions that you have to come by public tranportation, because there is no where to park. :blink:

I hate this- I'd almost have rather carried on going to the Job Centre every week even though it was difficult, rather than go through this yet again. It terrifies me so much because they make be feel so awful...like I'm a fraud.

Any help at this point is much appreciated. :( Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143273 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Worried about ESA Assessment this week
elnoren

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I would start by having a look at our ESA Claim guides on the following link to make sure that you have a proper understanding of the criteria against which you will be assessed.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

I'm afraid the assessor will likely be aware that you are attending the Job Centre on a regular basis, so even if your friend is able to attend with you at the assessment it is unlikely to make much difference.

If you have any specific questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #143333 by Jaenor
Replied by Jaenor on topic Worried about ESA Assessment this week
I have not been attending the job centre since April... I have been supplying the DWP with sick notes from my GP since then, and have been receiving ESA while I've been waiting for my assessment.

I wasn't wanting my friend to come with me because of what the accessors think... it's because I have severe anxiety and become very distressed easily. I wanted someone with me for that reason. Sorry. did not explain very well.

I did try to look at everything bet am becoming vry overwhielmed now.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143346 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Worried about ESA Assessment this week

elnoren wrote: I have not been attending the job centre since April... I have been supplying the DWP with sick notes from my GP since then, and have been receiving ESA while I've been waiting for my assessment.

I wasn't wanting my friend to come with me because of what the accessors think... it's because I have severe anxiety and become very distressed easily. I wanted someone with me for that reason. Sorry. did not explain very well.

I did try to look at everything bet am becoming vry overwhielmed now.

ESA is a complicated benefit so I do understand the problems that you are having with trying assimilate all of the information :)

Unfortunately, if you are to be successful you need to try and get your head around it. I'm conscious that you have already had one failed claim and you did not use our guides to make this new one, so you may well of repeated the mistakes you made on your first claim.

Try and tackle the guides a bit at a time, for example may be you could read the information for just one of the questions to see whether it applies to you and whether you have adequately explained yourself on the ESA50.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 5 months ago #143403 by alzon
Replied by alzon on topic Worried about ESA Assessment this week
I just wanted to wish you luck as its a horrible situation :(

My advice would be to try not to stress, almost impossible I know, but folk on here will give you all the help you can.

I would suggest taking some time to write out your entire medical history, in full detail and either give it to the assessor when you arrive and if possible, post it before the assessment.

give as much evidence to them as possible and if the assessment doesn't go as hoped, put in the appeal using the guides on here.

we did this for a family member and the appeals tribunal were much better and my family member was put in the support group as we provided lots of information and focussed on the descriptors which grant you support group access.

the guides are long and complex to us folk with little experience of this world, but read through them a few times and they will be the best weapon you have.

basically, you have to prove you qualify on the set descriptors, knowing these will help you target your evidence.

good luck :( its a horrible dehumanising process, but arm yourself with the guides, ask questions on here and your chances will be far greater than without :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.