× Members

What benefit and how to claim?

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143262 by swanny1
What benefit and how to claim? was created by swanny1
Hi my daughter (M) aged 20 has had a mental breakdown suffering Psychosis and Schizophrenia, she has been assessed and treated by a Mental Health Team and a Psychiatrist at home and given the appropriate medicine and support from their Community Support Team. My daughter has a history of Mental Health problems first diagnosed 16 years ago and received support from the local CAMHS and was on DLA until she was 18. She then decided she wanted to work and be independent with our support but unfortunately she has not been able to manage to hold down college courses or employment, all have ended with her having a breakdown but none as bad as this last episode 2 weeks ago. M has had her contract terminated by enforcement by her employers because of her mental state which leaves us with the problem of what benefit to claim and how to approach it? I need to be able to claim on her behalf it at possible as she is not well enough to apply personally. M is in rented accommodation with her partner who is working but receiving below minimum wages and is also caring for her.
I would be grateful for any help and advice on where to go and how to do it
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143283 by
Replied by on topic What benefit and how to claim?

swanny wrote: Hi my daughter (M) aged 20 has had a mental breakdown suffering Psychosis and Schizophrenia, she has been assessed and treated by a Mental Health Team and a Psychiatrist at home and given the appropriate medicine and support from their Community Support Team. My daughter has a history of Mental Health problems first diagnosed 16 years ago and received support from the local CAMHS and was on DLA until she was 18. She then decided she wanted to work and be independent with our support but unfortunately she has not been able to manage to hold down college courses or employment, all have ended with her having a breakdown but none as bad as this last episode 2 weeks ago. M has had her contract terminated by enforcement by her employers because of her mental state which leaves us with the problem of what benefit to claim and how to approach it? I need to be able to claim on her behalf it at possible as she is not well enough to apply personally. M is in rented accommodation with her partner who is working but receiving below minimum wages and is also caring for her.

Hi s,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

I am sorry to hear of your daughter's relapse ! :(

If she in no longer fit for work, she has the option of making a claim for ESA, she will need a current "fit note" from her G.P. and further details can be found on : ESA Gov.UK.

Once she makes her claim, DWP will check whether or not she has the requisite number of NI Contributions from employment for entitlement to payment of Contribution Based (CB) ESA which is not means tested, if she hasn't, she will be financially assessed to see whether she can pass the means test with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by her partner to see whether she has entitlement to payment of Income Related (IR) ESA.

See : Asset rule for ESA(IR)

&

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

From our : ESA FAQ’s

See also, our : ESA Claims Guides

She can also make a claim for PIP as well, which has replaced DLA.

See : Claiming PIP Gov.UK.

See also : PIP Self Test

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

Receipt of PIP is not reliant on NI Contributions, nor is it liable to a means test, and can be received as well as ESA.

Putting her personal details into one of these : Benefits Calculators. may give you some idea of any potential Benefit entitlement.

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Browser so that you can return to it easily.

You can then pose any future queries that you may have by replying to this topic.

bro58

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143295 by
Replied by on topic What benefit and how to claim?

bro58 wrote:

swanny wrote: Hi my daughter (M) aged 20 has had a mental breakdown suffering Psychosis and Schizophrenia, she has been assessed and treated by a Mental Health Team and a Psychiatrist at home and given the appropriate medicine and support from their Community Support Team. My daughter has a history of Mental Health problems first diagnosed 16 years ago and received support from the local CAMHS and was on DLA until she was 18. She then decided she wanted to work and be independent with our support but unfortunately she has not been able to manage to hold down college courses or employment, all have ended with her having a breakdown but none as bad as this last episode 2 weeks ago. M has had her contract terminated by enforcement by her employers because of her mental state which leaves us with the problem of what benefit to claim and how to approach it? I need to be able to claim on her behalf it at possible as she is not well enough to apply personally. M is in rented accommodation with her partner who is working but receiving below minimum wages and is also caring for her.

Hi s,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

I am sorry to hear of your daughter's relapse ! :(

If she in no longer fit for work, she has the option of making a claim for ESA, she will need a current "fit note" from her G.P. and further details can be found on : ESA Gov.UK.

Once she makes her claim, DWP will check whether or not she has the requisite number of NI Contributions from employment for entitlement to payment of Contribution Based (CB) ESA which is not means tested, if she hasn't, she will be financially assessed to see whether she can pass the means test with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by her partner to see whether she has entitlement to payment of Income Related (IR) ESA.

See : Asset rule for ESA(IR)

&

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

From our : ESA FAQ’s

See also, our : ESA Claims Guides

She can also make a claim for PIP as well, which has replaced DLA.

See : Claiming PIP Gov.UK.

See also : PIP Self Test

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

Receipt of PIP is not reliant on NI Contributions, nor is it liable to a means test, and can be received as well as ESA.

Putting her personal details into one of these : Benefits Calculators. may give you some idea of any potential Benefit entitlement.

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Browser so that you can return to it easily.

You can then pose any future queries that you may have by replying to this topic.

bro58

Hi s,

With respect to you acting on her behalf, see : Becoming an Appointee for someone claiming benefits.

bro58

More
8 years 6 months ago #143301 by swanny1
Replied by swanny1 on topic What benefit and how to claim?
Hi s,

With respect to you acting on her behalf, see : Becoming an Appointee for someone claiming benefits.

bro58[/quote]

Thanks bro58, not sure if this will still be relevant but when M became 16 we had a visit from DWP and I was made her appointee for her DLA, her claim expired nearly 3 years ago would that still be in force or need to claim again to be her appointee?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.