× Members

ESA and face to face assessment

• Janeyrobs
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #143282 by Janeyrobs
ESA and face to face assessment was created by Janeyrobs
I put in for ESA Contribution based benefit in March 2015. It was backdated to Jan 2015.
Today I received notification for my Health Assessment next week, the 11th Nov. On November 30th I am retiring early from my job that I have been sick from since June 2014. I have got to ring DWP to notify them of my decision to retire early and my dates to cancel my ESA(C). Question should I ring now to cancel ESA and ask that I do not attend the health assessment ? it seems a waste of time on everyone's side?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143284 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and face to face assessment

Janeyrobs wrote: I put in for ESA Contribution based benefit in March 2015. It was backdated to Jan 2015.
Today I received notification for my Health Assessment next week, the 11th Nov. On November 30th I am retiring early from my job that I have been sick from since June 2014. I have got to ring DWP to notify them of my decision to retire early and my dates to cancel my ESA(C). Question should I ring now to cancel ESA and ask that I do not attend the health assessment ? it seems a waste of time on everyone's side?

Your retiring early does not preclude you continuing with your ESA claim, ESA can be claimed up to State Retirement Age. However, you can only claim ESA(CB) for 365 days if you are not placed in the Support Group. You can go on to claim Income Related ESA, but this will take account of any household income (including any pension you might now receive), assets and savings and any hours that a partner might work.

If you do close your claim then you will not be entitled to any back payment of an award, if one is made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Janeyrobs
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143285 by Janeyrobs
Replied by Janeyrobs on topic ESA and face to face assessment
I have over the limit for assets and savings for income related, 37 years of NI credits so I cannot claim ESA (IR) . I have no partner, am 57,and my pension will be about £500 amonth. I don't think I am entitled to anything as soon as my pension comes through.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143289 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA and face to face assessment

Janeyrobs wrote: I have over the limit for assets and savings for income related, 37 years of NI credits so I cannot claim ESA (IR) . I have no partner, am 57,and my pension will be about £500 amonth. I don't think I am entitled to anything as soon as my pension comes through.

Hi Jr,

If you are entitled to payment of CB ESA, there is an £85/Week disregard for Occupational/Works Pensions.

e.g. Works Pension (WP) = £125/Week - £85/Week disregard leaves £40/Week excess, 50% of the excess, i.e. £20/Week would then be deducted from your weekly CB ESA entitlement.

Further, if you are placed into The Support Group (SG), payment of any CB ESA entitlement will continue for as long as you remain in The SG.

See : 12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

You should still inform DWP ESA in writing regarding any WP income that you may be getting :

Sending Documents to the DWP.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.