× Members

Carer's Allowance and Income Support

More
8 years 5 months ago #143366 by Jo
Hi everyone,

I'm currently caring for my mother and after my application for Carer's Allowance was accepted, I was told that I can also claim Income Support. The thing is I've heard that they do work focused interviews for this which seems rather odd considering the 35 hour per week minimum caring time.

I was just wondering: What's everyone's experience with this? How are Carer's generally treated? How frequent are the interviews?

Any thoughts or advice would be a huge help.

Thanks guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143382 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carer's Allowance and Income Support

Jo wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm currently caring for my mother and after my application for Carer's Allowance was accepted, I was told that I can also claim Income Support. The thing is I've heard that they do work focused interviews for this which seems rather odd considering the 35 hour per week minimum caring time.

I was just wondering: What's everyone's experience with this? How are Carer's generally treated? How frequent are the interviews?

Any thoughts or advice would be a huge help.

Thanks guys.

You can work while receiving Carers Allowance and earn up to about £104 per week (you would need to check this figure if you did it), so this is why there are WFIs, they will want to see you within the first couple of months of you making a claim, but are unlikely to ask you to attend again for anything up to three years.

The WFI will just be a talk, they cannot require you to do anything, you cannot be asked to do Work Related Activity and you cannot be asked to seek work.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.