× Members

Where do I begin??????

More
8 years 6 months ago #143409 by Barbara
Where do I begin?????? was created by Barbara
I have today become a member of this site after being turned down for pip.
I had a medical a couple of weeks ago and want to apply for a mandatory reconsideration.
I suffer with Hypothyroidism, lupus and Fibromyalgia. I really have trouble explaining myself and my fluctuanting conditions. I have read through a few guides and am completely bamboozled. I just know that the knock on affect is a day in bed tomorrow. Can anyone give me some advice please. I will be truely grateful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143416 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Where do I begin??????
Hi

You really only need to read the guide to appeals for PIP. This will tell you how to request a Mandatory Reconsideration which is the first step of the appeals process.

You should have a full report with reasons for turning you down for PIP.
You need to go through this point by point and note why it is wrong and what evidence you have to prove your point.
Fluctuating conditions are particularly difficult to get across to DWP as they want to take the best scenario at all times so member usually give them the worst day to counter this.
You only have one month to lodge your request so you can do this and say that supporting evidence will follow.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143527 by jayjay1963
Replied by jayjay1963 on topic Where do I begin??????
Hi
I'm so sorry to hear that you have been turned down for plp.
Did you claim DLA at all?
I would appeal as said above.
I have the same as you Lupus Fibromialga osteoparosis can hardly walk, and as you say I expect you will be in bed for the day tomorrow :(
The DWP have no idea what the problem is and know nothing about Lupus many people don't, know what it is either.
I was rejected 5 time's for DLA and i went to court in the end, (and took me a year and a half to get it through the courts) and was awarded it for life, (although i will lose this with the new rules).
Get all the help you can get and then appeal, and keep doing so until they give you the benifit that you are intitaled to.
I wish you all the luck in the world let us know how you get on. :)
Take care
Debbi:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barbara

More
8 years 6 months ago #143543 by Zoe
Replied by Zoe on topic Where do I begin??????
Jayjay1963 you were turned down with lupus and fibromyalgia?!!! Two rather disabling conditions at best... This is very scary re assessments... True kudos for hanging in there to get through the appeals and court processes, that must be so difficult...

Barbara have you gotten any support from cab or anywhere else to fill in your forms? Best of luck with the mandatory reconsideration; fingers crossed for you!

Zoe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barbara

More
8 years 5 months ago #143566 by Barbara
Replied by Barbara on topic Where do I begin??????
Zoe, cab helped me to fill in the application for me in July last year. I had a phone call from atos on a Tuesday two weeks offering an assessment the following day.
All the woman done at the assessment was type. She hardly looked at me or spoke. I offered her up to date letters from consultants but she didn't want them. She put me through a physical test but I couldn't sqwat down.
The refusal letter mentions that I am not being medicated for depression but I am. I have recently been seen by a neurologist to change my medication because of severe headaches whilst taking marol (tramadol)
I don't think that my assessor was qualified enough to comment on my conditions and medication because she obviously doesn't understand why antidepressants are used to treat symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
I fell ill six years ago and have battled my way trying to find the correct balance of medications. I have suffered with Hypothyroidism for twelve years and my levels change every time I have a blood test so my dosage changes up and down even to this day.
I went to an appeal over esa and had the decision over turned. I don't know if I can face the fight again.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143583 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Where do I begin??????
Barbara

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.