× Members

ESA assessment tomorrow

More
8 years 6 months ago #143428 by counsellor83
ESA assessment tomorrow was created by counsellor83
Hi Everyone

I have fairly severe CFS/ME

This is my recent ish benefits time line

September 2014 - had to give up a job due to cfs/me starting to come back badly and my thinking the hour long commute to work was triggering the worsening of symptoms. Applied for ESA did form and went straight into support group.

November 2014 - because I am stubborn and desperate to work I took on a part time admin job. So my claim ended.

January 2015 - had the flu and a major relapse of my CFS/ME - unable to work. Stayed on SSP until that ran out (6 months) then had to apply for ESA again. Because it was decided that I wasn't going to be able to go back to that job in reasonable timescale it was "decided" I should resign.

September 2015 - ESA 50 form again tried to do it the same as last time but the boxes were smaller.

November 2015 - ESA assessment tomorrow.

My questions really are

Any advice for the assessment?

And how will ATTEMPTING to work part time for less than 2 months affect me?

Thanks gang. I am so so petrified about tomorrow and so angry at myself for TRYING to work after I'd been put into the support group.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143447 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA assessment tomorrow
RS

Welcome to the forum

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Have a look at the ESA Claim guides there is a section at the back that covers the assessment and the questions you are likely to be asked.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #143466 by counsellor83
Replied by counsellor83 on topic ESA assessment tomorrow
Thanks Gordon I read the guides before posting.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143491 by TheHud
Replied by TheHud on topic ESA assessment tomorrow
Hi

I suspect if anyone is capable of any work in any capacity for any length of time, they will fail at ESA now. Unless you can get into the WRAG but its a bit hit and miss. I can't advise, but I did say I always wanted to work and had to give up because I would have been sacked anyway because I was losing the plot, I also said I realised about 3 years ago I was not going to get better, only worse to the point I am now and have given up any thought of returning to a career I had spent years retraining for and got 2 post grads for. I accepted I could not work.

I got a copy of my ESA medical report yesterday, i had been placed in the support group but am applying for PIP so we thought it a good idea to see why I was put into the support group and whatever else was said.

One thing that is very clear in my report comments is about me being unable to reliably mobilise (I was observed all the time I was at the centre) and because I looked very unwell (unfortunately I do look rough and it was a good day) the medical assessor to quote said ' there would be no improvement to my fatigue, mobilisation or other examined physical limitations even in the longer term.

I was lucky I think the assessor I got seemed to understand not only Fibro but Rheumatoid arthritis. I was originally diagnosed with RH back in 1982 at 20 years old and a year later disabled out of the forces. However, blood tests done in 2007 failed to show the RH factor so I was left bemused, ill having more ops on damaged joints with flare ups and no treatment.

The assessor knew all this history and asked to look at my cripples and swollen fingers wrists and knees. She agreed I had RH.

So it can be a positive thing to actually have someone confirm things and in writing.

PIP is up next, not sure i have the energy to get there, its been cancelled and rescheduled so another 2 weeks of girding my loins and trying not to stress

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143506 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic ESA assessment tomorrow
I think if I had that report in front of me and then saw the person went back to work I would not be impressed.

However I do understand. I was thrown on the scrapheap at an early age and it is incredibly frustrating, depressing and demeaning to be told you are no good any more. I desperately wanted to get well enough to go back to work. Its a fact that nearly all sick/disabled people don't want to be stuck on benefits the rest of their lives, vilified by politicians, the media and ignorant people. You made a mistake trying to work after getting put in the support group but you must now admit your mistake and that it has made you worse.

Provided you have all your evidence and are prepared for questions on the work thing you should be OK. The assessor might not bring it up. At the end of the day they have to take you as presented to them at the appointment tomorrow.

Good luck.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.