× Members

PIP and children?!

More
8 years 5 months ago #143463 by Zoe
PIP and children?! was created by Zoe
I went to the doctor today to ask for a letter in support of a home visit for pip due to the variability of my conditions. He was more than happy to write the letter for me, but told me maybe i should ''hide'' some of the effects of my disability for the form and the assessment because Atos or capita may have social workers on their assessments and they may worry about my child specifically because my carer (the child's grandmother, not a stranger) takes her to school in the mornings and not me and once in a blue moon picks her up from school too when I'm in hospital or flaring?

My child is thriving, no one has ever had any concerns about her at all, she's doing so well at school and with friends and in clubs and in life generally, but this just panicked me majorly. Should I cancel the application? Is what the doctor saying accurate?

I know I've swamped the forum with questions recently and everyone's been so kind to read and reply helping me navigate this process; it's just this statement today worried me so much I'm not sure what to do. Any pointers would be welcome...

Zoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143467 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and children?!
Zoe

I've never heard of a social worker being present at a PIP assessment, they are done by ATOS and Capita, both private companies with no connections to Social Services which I believe is a Local Authority function and therefore nothing to do with the DWP either.

If anything your having a child would likely count against you rather than the child as the assessor may make assumptions about you capabilities because you are doing so, so be prepared to explain how you manage this within your stated limitations.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 5 months ago #143470 by Zoe
Replied by Zoe on topic PIP and children?!
Gordon thank you very much for that reply, it's incredibly reassuring. I have to admit I freaked out completely today after hearing that and was on the verge of cancelling the application entirely; I would never want something like this to be turned into something bad for my child and family...

Thanks again.

Zoe

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.