× Members

HAVE JUST SENT OFF MY PIP FORM - SOME QUESTIONS

More
8 years 5 months ago #143526 by ISABEL
I've just sent off my PIP form having been invited to apply due to my DLA award due to end in March 2016. I was on high rate care and high rate mobility. My DLA awards have usually been for a few years at a time. I've always had the high rate for mobility and over the years since first claiming in 2000 or thereabouts the care element has risen to high rate.
I suffer from Hypermobility Syndrome and I expect all the other issues really stem from that, e.g. spinal stenosis, previous back surgery, chronic back pain etc etc etc.
I no longer attend any consultants routinely and haven't done for some years. I've never pushed to continue to attend clinics as some years ago my life was like a revolving door of hospital appointments. I appreciate that my condition is chronic and don't ask for anything other than my regular medication and I try to get on with life such as it is. I had to change GP a few years ago when I moved house and to be honest have never really bothered the GP either other than when I have had the worst of acute episodes probably because I realise that I have to learn to live with this and the only management is pain relief.
Having said all this it makes me believe that perhaps I won't even stand a chance as I have merely completed the form, had no evidence to send though did mention all the consultants I've seen up until and for a short time after my diagnosis.
To be honest the whole thing fills me with dread. Can you advise what I should expect next? Also, do you feel they will look at my case less favourably because I don't trouble anybody about it anymore. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #143534 by bro58

ISABEL wrote: I've just sent off my PIP form having been invited to apply due to my DLA award due to end in March 2016. I was on high rate care and high rate mobility. My DLA awards have usually been for a few years at a time. I've always had the high rate for mobility and over the years since first claiming in 2000 or thereabouts the care element has risen to high rate.
I suffer from Hypermobility Syndrome and I expect all the other issues really stem from that, e.g. spinal stenosis, previous back surgery, chronic back pain etc etc etc.
I no longer attend any consultants routinely and haven't done for some years. I've never pushed to continue to attend clinics as some years ago my life was like a revolving door of hospital appointments. I appreciate that my condition is chronic and don't ask for anything other than my regular medication and I try to get on with life such as it is. I had to change GP a few years ago when I moved house and to be honest have never really bothered the GP either other than when I have had the worst of acute episodes probably because I realise that I have to learn to live with this and the only management is pain relief.
Having said all this it makes me believe that perhaps I won't even stand a chance as I have merely completed the form, had no evidence to send though did mention all the consultants I've seen up until and for a short time after my diagnosis.
To be honest the whole thing fills me with dread. Can you advise what I should expect next? Also, do you feel they will look at my case less favourably because I don't trouble anybody about it anymore. :(

Hi IS,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

Although supporting medical evidence should help with a PIP Claim, one can only provide evidence that they have access to.

Many claimants find themselves in a similar situations to yourself, where they have been discharged from a Consultant's care and therefore do not have any current evidence.

The important issue is that you have gone into detail of how your disability affects you for the majority of days in the PIP 2 Form, hopefully whilst referring to our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

Your PIP 2 Form will now be looked at by The Assessment Provider (ATOS or Capita), and they will decide whether or not you have provided enough evidence for them to make a paper based assessment, or if they feel that you haven't, they will contact you with an appointment for a face to face assessment either at one of their centres, or in your home.

There is little more than you can do for now, so try not to worry, you can read what to expect at a PIP face to face from around page 70 of our PIP Claims Guide.

Please keep us updated.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143542 by ISABEL
Thank-you Bro58. The form filling was a nightmare - I tried to follow the guide as best I could - felt like I was repeating myself over and over (just the usual with these types of form). I shall try not to worry but I doubt I'll rest till I hear something. This benefit has had so much bad publicity it's hard to be at rest while you're playing the waiting game.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.