× Members

ESA & Multiple Disabilities

More
8 years 5 months ago #143593 by LoisClark
ESA & Multiple Disabilities was created by LoisClark
Please can I have some advice? I am quite worried about my ESA application.

I have been on SDA since the 1980s. I don't get any extra income contributions because my husband works. As a consequence I wasn't asked to begin migration over to ESA until this year.

They received my typed answers to the ESA50 in July. I have 14 medical conditions confirmed plus 2 suspected ones. Many of these are due to Congenital Rubella

Combined, these conditions would make it very difficult for me to hold down a job, let alone find someone to employ me.

In Part One of the form, all but one question applied to me. I know I will get the 15 points needed for ESA and I could get them several times over. However, I fear I won't meet a Support Group descriptor? It will all come down to Question 7 and whether they decide I am descriptor A or B. My main problems being legally blind due to extensive loss of Field of Vision & poor Visual Acuity (all down to congenital rubella). I also have arthritis (getting worse at an alarming rate), Frequent Migraines, stunted growth and Type 1 diabetes plus various health issues that make me unwell a lot of the time. As well as injections, I am also on 24 prescribed tablets a day - most for pain relief including a very high dosage of Gabapentin which makes me very sleepy.

My questions therefore are:

1. Do they take into consideration multiple disabilities if someone doesn't obviously meet a Support Group descriptor? I know the guidelines say they should, but should and reality are 2 different things.

2. Do they take into consideration any PIP Awards? I recently completed the DLA to PIP migration in 2 months. I had a Home Visit Face-To-Face and was awarded Enhanced for both PIP components.

3. What happens if my GP doesn't get back to them? Apparently they have been waiting for him to write back to them for several weeks now. I mentioned it to the Practice a month a go but don't feel I should bring it up again.

While I know I will get ESA eventually, I am worried about ending up in the Work Group as it would mean I would only get ESA for a year as it it would be contibutory. I am also very worried about how I would get to work based interviews due to my location and my disabilities.

Really sorry for the long post. Thank You in advance for any help in advance. I feel really guilty writing this post as it make me feel like a scrounger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143603 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA & Multiple Disabilities
LC

To try and answer your questions.

1. As for PIP, ESA looks at the limitations that result from your conditions, rather than the conditions themselves. To qualify for the Support Group you either need to meet one or more of the SG Descriptors or qualify through the Exceptional Circumstances Regulations. In all cases the criteria are specific and need to be met in full.

2. A successful PIP claim can be of help to an ESA claim, but only where the PIP areas awarded are relevant to the ESA Descriptors.

3. GP's are paid to respond to DWP (or their contractors) requests for more information, however, despite this many GP's don't or if they do they only reply minimally. I'm afraid that the only way to manage this situation is for you to chase your GP. Remember the only person who loses out if you don't get the award that you think you qualify for, is you!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.