× Members

Degenerative Disc Disease, Sciatica and Severe OSA

More
8 years 6 months ago #143612 by Nelone1
Hi Guys

Anyone had these three disabilities and a successful claim, I have my assessment coming up and want to make sure I'm ready.

Evidence wise I have confirmation of my OSA from the sleep clinic. I also have my MRI results and the actual MRI on DVD showing multiple discs in digeneration and trapped nerve. I've an appointment coming up with my doctors and was hoping for some guidance as to what else I could ask him for.

Appreciate any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143643 by Gordon

Nelone1 wrote: Hi Guys

Anyone had these three disabilities and a successful claim, I have my assessment coming up and want to make sure I'm ready.

Evidence wise I have confirmation of my OSA from the sleep clinic. I also have my MRI results and the actual MRI on DVD showing multiple discs in digeneration and trapped nerve. I've an appointment coming up with my doctors and was hoping for some guidance as to what else I could ask him for.

Appreciate any help

It's not your conditions that will result in an award but the limitations that result from them. I know that sounds like a cop out, but two claimants could have exactly the same conditions but be effected in totally different ways.

The information you mention in your post is all medical in nature, this is important but still requires the assessor to bridge the gap between your conditions and your limitations, in simple terms; a broken leg would imply problems with walking. So if your GP is prepared to do so, you want him to pen a letter that talks about your limitations and in particular in regard to the PIP and ESA Descriptors (you may need two, one for each benefit).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #143655 by Nelone1
Thanks Gordon

Thats a great help, I said in my claim about not being able to dress my lower body and tie shoe laces.my partner helps wash me and prompts me every night when I wake up to put my CPAP mask back on. Sitting and walking for even short amounts is painful and I pay the consequences, I don't cook any more as I'm quite tall leaning forward without using my hands to take the strain by leaning on the worktop hurts, a one hand chef is pretty useless same for washing up the dishes. Also my sleep patterns have no pattern I sleep when I can, most days I force myself to be awake and live a normal life but others I lose and sleep a day away.

Do you think a letter alone from my doctor is sufficient, or should I ask my partner to write a statement as well. Taking into consideration that she is the one who witnesses this situation.

Thanks again

More
8 years 6 months ago #143666 by Gordon
Nelone

I think a letter from your partner would be a good idea.

They will need to include their full name and address, how they are related to you and how often they see you. Lastly they need to include a phrase at the end attesting to the information being accurate.

As a general comment you are not expected to complete the PIP activities without pain. PIP does not deal with pain in the same way as DLA which used the phrase "severe discomfort" although this was not actually defined. PIP uses the phrase reliably and it's sub definitions, primarily safely, but you could argue that pain is a factor in the other three phrases as well.

So you need to make it clear that any pain you experience is beyond what would be considered reasonable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nelone1

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.