× Members

Question about cannabis included in evidence

More
8 years 6 months ago #143682 by Kasbah
Hi

My GP has written an excellent letter to support my claim for PIP. However I am worried because she refers to a letter by my rheumatologist, which includes a question about cannabis for pain relief that my husband asked. It mentions I had a try of some cannabis at a friends house and found it helped my symptoms enormously. Could this information be negative for my claim? :unsure:

I'd be grateful for any advice as I need to send the form and this letter off very soon.

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143700 by foss27
It seems to me that by mentioning this your GP has not been very helpful.

I wonder why she found it neccessary to include this. I think if it were me I would go back to her and ask how she thinks it will help my case. If she can provide an answer which I can use at the WCA then
I might use it. However I would point out to the GP that in my opinion it is not helpful to mention an illegal drug which helped me enormously. I can't get it because its illegal. There isn't even any medical trial I can participate in. I think I would want it removed.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143827 by Kasbah
Thanks very much for replying to me. That's what I thought.

However, maybe I didn't express it very well (no surprise!), it is not my GP herself who has directly mentioned the cannabis, it is the report which my GP refers to in her letter and attaches a copy of, written by the Rheumatologist, which mentions the cannabis issue, which my husband raised when I was seen. This report also includes useful information about my conditions.

I was thinking of asking my GP not to refer to the Rhuemy report at all and to just mention some of the useful info contained in it; for example, that I have 16 tender points on examination (I have Fibromyalgia).

Could I ask the Rheumatologist to write a letter for me to send to the DWP which does NOT mention the cannabis?

However, could the DWP get their hands on the Rheumy report anyway? Would the cannabis issue affect my claim if they did? Or do they send medical professionals a form to fill out?
Or both? Sorry, that's a lot of questions, they keep going round and round in my head.

I feel stuck and stressed. :(

Grateful for any feedback. With best wishes, Kasbah.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143834 by Gordon
Kasbah

You can certainly ask for a new letter that makes no reference to the Cannabis, from one or both of your doctors, I understand that the GP letter merely refers to the Rheumatologists letter.

The DWP and their contractors, the Assessment Providers (APs) cannot access your medical records without your permission and I am not award of them ever having made such a request to any of our members.

They may, the chances are small, write to your GP or consultant, but if they do they will ask specific questions.

Your original post says that your husband simply asked a question about Cannabis use, I don't see why this would have any impact on his claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 5 months ago #143875 by Kasbah
Gordon, many thanks for your reply, things seem clearer now and it's a relief to know that DWP don't ask to view medical records. I will talk to my doctor and contact the Rheumatologist about writing a letter which doesn't mention the stuff.

Best wishes, Kasbah :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.