× Members

Deprivation of assets

More
8 years 6 months ago #143726 by dayton
Deprivation of assets was created by dayton
Hi I have had stop working at short notice to care for my wife who receives esa contributary enhanced rate In support group & pip higher level mobility.we where planning to renew our 3 year old car as we usually trade in for new at this age to avoid repair bills.
We have £18000 in savings & planned to use £10000 with trade in to purchase new again.would I be entitled to income support with carers allowance or would DWP treat this deprivation of assets even though we have always purchased cars this way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #143737 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Deprivation of assets
Although you have always bought cars this way, presumably it was linked to your circumstances which have changed dramatically ie you have given up work.

It is thus impossible to say what the DWP might do. You would be entitled to claim but they may use any rule or regulation at their disposal in any way they see fit to deny you benefit. There is usually a right of appeal but do you want to go through that? Can you use your wifes higher rate mobility to get a motability car? It works out much more cost effective.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143741 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Deprivation of assets

dayton wrote: Hi I have had stop working at short notice to care for my wife who receives esa contributary enhanced rate In support group & pip higher level mobility.we where planning to renew our 3 year old car as we usually trade in for new at this age to avoid repair bills.
We have £18000 in savings & planned to use £10000 with trade in to purchase new again.would I be entitled to income support with carers allowance or would DWP treat this deprivation of assets even though we have always purchased cars this way.

I'm not as convinced as Foss that your claim will be denied but it is a possibility.

As you would still have £8000 there will be deductions from your Income Support due to this, also your wife's ESA(CB) and your CA will be deducted, so it is worth your checking whether any IS would be payable, put your details into one of the online benefit calculators

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.