× Members

ESA and occupational pension review

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143772 by SallyS
ESA and occupational pension review was created by SallyS
I wonder if someone could help me with my query. I've not used a forum before so bear with me.
In 2000 I transfered from SSP to IB and in 2001 I received an occupational pension as I had to take ill health retirement. Over the years my illness meant that I also receive DLA at the highest rate for both care and mobility.
I don't claim any other benefits.
In August 2014 I transfered from IB to ESA and I'm in the contribution based support group.
As far as I knew everything was fine but at the weekend I received a letter and a form ESA2 10/14.
The letter is asking for a lot of information relating to my pension.
I've looked around on the Internet to try to find out what this is all about and have ended up even more confused than when I started.
I wonder if anyone could tell me the rules regarding pensions and IB/ESA transfers and I'm absolutely terrified that they are going to stop my benefit that I rely on.
Thank you for any help .
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143783 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA and occupational pension review
Hi and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site, this link should help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Your username appears to be your real name. If you wish to change this, in order to maintain a degree of anonymity, you can do so by following the advice in this FAQ.

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Contributory ESA does not take into account savings or income of the claimant except for any occupational pension. The first £85 of such a pension is discounted and then ESA reduced by 50p for every £1 above this.

However if your pension with discounted under IB then it should also be discounted under ESA as part of transitional protection. This will depend on when you first started claiming IB and when your pension was first paid.

Will my pension be disregarded under ESA?

If you have further questions please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now or click on your username when you are singed in to the forum :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SallyS

More
8 years 6 months ago #143786 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and occupational pension review
SS

Just to add to Mrs H's excellent advice.

Record keeping under IB seems to have been appalling and we have had a number of members in this situation, you may not have kept the information but it may help if you can show that you notified the DWP in 2001 about the pension.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: SallyS, slugsta

More
8 years 6 months ago #143804 by SallyS
Replied by SallyS on topic ESA and occupational pension review
Thank you both for your help. I've sorted out my name now!
I started claiming IB around August 2000 and my pension started in January 2001.
I've always been up front with everyone about my pension and I've always paid the tax on it and declared it when I claimed tax credits etc when the children were younger. I shall fill out the forms any include the dates in the extra information boxes.
Thank you once again.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.