× Members

DLA to PIP - why phone?

More
8 years 5 months ago #143815 by kate
DLA to PIP - why phone? was created by kate
I've received DWP notification of transferring my DLA to PIP & asking me to 'phone them if I want to proceed. Given that DWP has lost/"did not receive" so much paperwork I've sent them in the past (re DLA claim), making a telephone call to confirm I want to transfer to PIP makes me even more nervous of them "having no record" that I rang in.

If I write (sending it Special Delivery) & confirm I want to transfer to PIP at least I would have a record that I've applied. Would this be a good idea?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143830 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP - why phone?

kate wrote: I've received DWP notification of transferring my DLA to PIP & asking me to 'phone them if I want to proceed. Given that DWP has lost/"did not receive" so much paperwork I've sent them in the past (re DLA claim), making a telephone call to confirm I want to transfer to PIP makes me even more nervous of them "having no record" that I rang in.

If I write (sending it Special Delivery) & confirm I want to transfer to PIP at least I would have a record that I've applied. Would this be a good idea?

There's no reason why you can't do this, but you will need to manage the situation, the DWP internal mail system often adds up to ten days to the time it takes for a letter to get to the right office and your claim will not start until the PIP2 has been completed and they have received it.

Ringing may not be the issue you think it is, I'm not aware of anybody who has had a problem initiating a PIP claim over the phone.

In either case the information to start a claim is on the following page.

www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate

More
8 years 5 months ago #143892 by kate
Replied by kate on topic DLA to PIP - why phone?
Oh No - I'm confused about the timescale of the PIP process and terminology! I have your PIP Guide to making a Claim but maybe my panic is scrambling my brain.

I've received the DWP letter asking me to call them by 25 November if I want to claim PIP. Is this just to confirm who I am and that I want to proceed to PIP?

Does this telephone call involve describing my health condition?

In your Guide to PIP (page 13) it says "if you are unable to use the phone you can ask for an 18 page paper claim form". So is this telephone call that I have to make by 25th Nov., equivalent to talking them through 18 pages of information they want to ask me?

Do they then send me confirmation of this telephone call which I have to return by 25th Nov?

At what stage do I receive the 36 page form where I detail my disability? How long does DWP give you to fill it in?

Oh mercy!

More
8 years 5 months ago #143919 by Gordon
Kate

OK, by 25 November you have to;

- ring the DWP and complete the PIP1 form over the phone

OR

- ring the DWP and ask for a PIP1 form to be sent to you, you must then complete the form when it arrives and return it to the DWP

OR

- write to the DWP asking for a PIP1 form to be sent, you must then complete the form when it arrives and return it to the DWP

The 18 page guide referred to on page 13 is the PIP1 form.

Once the DWP have a completed PIP1 form they can initiate a PIP claim and send your a PIP2 (How your Disability Effects You) form. You will have four weeks from when the PIP2 is send to complete and return it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 5 months ago #144037 by kate
Replied by kate on topic DLA to PIP - why phone?
Oh Gordon - you are a life saver! Thank you so much for being here!

I feel I may need "leading by the nose" until I get down to this.

When you ring the DWP & complete the PIP1 over the telephone - I would like to be more clear please about the "basic information about you & whether you have any of the following conditions" part of the 'phone call.

(1) Do they want the name of the condition/problem or (2) how it affects me? What if I miss something out? What if I don't identify something that may be quite relevant but will come to light once I start filing in PIP2?.

This sounds like they want a summary of the 36 page form which I haven't even seen yet!

Thank You for this website and the wonderful people manning it. What would we all do otherwise? What would we all do. Thank you.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144044 by Gordon
Kate

If you have a look at page 13 of the PIP Claim guide it explains what they will be asking.

With regard your conditions, they are only looking for basic information so that they can decide

- is this a claim under the exceptional rules for a terminal illness?

- do you meet the past test of three months and are you reasonably expected to meet the future test of nine months?

- if you have mental health or cognitive issues, whether an extension to the time to return the PIP2 should be offered from the outset?

They are only interest in the information required in order to start a claim, your assessment will be based on what you include in and with the PIP2.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.