× Members

do the pip/dwp ever contact the dvla?

More
8 years 6 months ago #143839 by Zara
Hello, thanks for all the help so far. I wanted to ask if the people who deal with pip exams ever contact the dvla to tell them about symptoms that may impair someone's driving?

for example, we had a period where my husband was having suspected fits/seizures, they always happened at night and he can always tell when its going to happen around an hour before because of the sensations. he's had an mri and cardiology tests and so far nothing, they think its stress related. more tests will happen first though, he hasn't has one for a while but iv included them on the pip form. He drives and is the carer for me having physical disabilities where as he has p.t.s.d and anxiety. the car makes his life so much easier and helps him a lot, without it we would be much worse off in struggling day to day with the kids. I'm worried that they tell the dvla and they take his licence from him. his g.p said there is no reason to stop driving as their is n evidence that its actual seizures. it could be a stressed body response. he doesn't have what looks like what a seizure looks like, he will say he feels 'weird' up to an hour before then later he just trembles for up to an hour, feels sick and then falls asleep from exhaustion. so would they contact the dvla and should I take it out of the form?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #143843 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic do the pip/dwp ever contact the dvla?
Zara

I think it very unlikely that an assessor would contact the DVLA, but I cannot guarantee that they wouldn't.

There is guidance for doctors on patients who may cause a risk while driving, I don't believe that this extends to nurses and certainly would not extend to physiotherapists. The guidance does allow a doctor to contact the DVLA but only after they have carried out a number of activities first to persuade the patient to contact the DVLA themselves.

I don't believe an assessor would be able to carry out the recommended steps within the context of the assessment process, even if they had an inclination to do so.

The guidance is on the following link

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...ile/457961/aagv1.pdf

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zara

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143856 by Zara
Replied by Zara on topic my own esa and dla
does that mean that pip and esa assessors are only nurses and physiotherapists?
I had an inclination they were not medically trained in mental health and/or multiple sclerosis but was never sure, I failed my 1st medical for my m.s and ptsd which was overturned at the tribunal who then awarded me the support group and an extra entitlement.
iv passed two subsequent esa exams and put into the support group as well as being given the extra contributions, I forget what its called.
special/extenuating circumstances? I have no recollection of what its called but I receive extra money for it, what is that called?
my own esa and dla are due again in December and I'm petrified about them also because I cant find the photo copy of my last forms. I like to have all that at hand when filling out the new application, I'm always asked for a face to face which is soul destroying, surely by now they know I will never get better, in the last one the assessor even wrote that its highly unlikely I'll ever get better, only worse, based on the evidence. why must they always put me through this every 2 years? it makes me terribly depressed and extra anxious. I've been put on new meds just for this stress in the past few weeks
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #143863 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic my own esa and dla

Zara wrote: does that mean that pip and esa assessors are only nurses and physiotherapists?
I had an inclination they were not medically trained in mental health and/or multiple sclerosis but was never sure, I failed my 1st medical for my m.s and ptsd which was overturned at the tribunal who then awarded me the support group and an extra entitlement.
iv passed two subsequent esa exams and put into the support group as well as being given the extra contributions, I forget what its called.
special/extenuating circumstances? I have no recollection of what its called but I receive extra money for it, what is that called?
my own esa and dla are due again in December and I'm petrified about them also because I cant find the photo copy of my last forms. I like to have all that at hand when filling out the new application, I'm always asked for a face to face which is soul destroying, surely by now they know I will never get better, in the last one the assessor even wrote that its highly unlikely I'll ever get better, only worse, based on the evidence. why must they always put me through this every 2 years? it makes me terribly depressed and extra anxious. I've been put on new meds just for this stress in the past few weeks

Hi Z,

Yes, PIP and ESA Assessors can be Nurses, Midwives, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Paramedics or Doctors.

Once employed by ATOS, Capita for PIP or Maximus for ESA they are trained in Disability Analysis and are then recognised by The Secretary of State for Works and Pensions as approved disability assessors/analysts.

Just because your ESA reassessment is due in December, does not mean that it will occur.

See : This Topic

What makes you say that your DLA is due again in December ?

If this was the end date for a fixed term DLA Award, I would have expected you to have received the review forms by now.

Besides, when your next review is due, it will be for PIP not DLA.

See : This Post

", I forget what its called. special/extenuating circumstances?"

Not sure what you mean here, you could be thinking of Exceptional Circumstances as a reason for you being in The Support Group (SG) in that you fulfil : ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

And/or you may be in receipt of The Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP) for being in The SG :

ESA Premiums

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #143900 by Zara
Replied by Zara on topic my own esa and dla
I called the esa line to ask the star date and she said It runs out in January so to expect a new form very soon, also my dla was awarded twice over the past 7 years and the most recent one (4 and half years ago, nearly 5) said it was being awarded indefinitely but people have since told me that I will have to apply for pip as dla will be scrapped and just because I was awarded high and high rate doesn't mean I will for pip and that all indefinite awards will be reviewed within a very maximum of 5 years. I'm worried that I'm well overdue for pip and I'm certain my esa will require a new application in December. I failed my first ever medical for esa and appealed, on appeal I was won and was put into support group, was given an extra award on top, then I passed the second, then my last one 2 years ago I passed and was given the same awards as before. They seem intent on constantly making me have face to face interviews even though on the past medicals the person always writes, ''she is unlikely to ever get better and will most certainly only get worse'' yes it doesn't stop them putting me through hell.

The worst part? I have photo copies of my husbands application for dla but can't find either of mine
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #143914 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic my own esa and dla

Zara wrote: I called the esa line to ask the star date and she said It runs out in January so to expect a new form very soon, also my dla was awarded twice over the past 7 years and the most recent one (4 and half years ago, nearly 5) said it was being awarded indefinitely but people have since told me that I will have to apply for pip as dla will be scrapped and just because I was awarded high and high rate doesn't mean I will for pip and that all indefinite awards will be reviewed within a very maximum of 5 years. I'm worried that I'm well overdue for pip and I'm certain my esa will require a new application in December. I failed my first ever medical for esa and appealed, on appeal I was won and was put into support group, was given an extra award on top, then I passed the second, then my last one 2 years ago I passed and was given the same awards as before. They seem intent on constantly making me have face to face interviews even though on the past medicals the person always writes, ''she is unlikely to ever get better and will most certainly only get worse'' yes it doesn't stop them putting me through hell.

The worst part? I have photo copies of my husbands application for dla but can't find either of mine

Hi Z,

Even though you have been informed that your ESA reassessment should occur in January 2016, it may be deferred once more, see : This Post.

However, it would still be advisable to start preparing for the potential reassessment in January 2016.

You could do this by :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page, 2nd & 3rd links down :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or Maximus. (CHDA)

With regards to DLA to PIP, as explained in the link to the post that I provided in my last response, all current DLA recipients, including those with Indefinite/Lifetime Award who were below 65 years of age on 08/04/13 will be invited to claim PIP at sometime over the next 2 year period.

These transfers are being carried out at random, so there is no knowing when you will be invited.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.