× Members

Hard to access PIP assessment appointments

More
8 years 5 months ago #144086 by tommotompkins
Hard to access PIP assessment appointments was created by tommotompkins
Hello everyone,
In my recent PIP application - I asked if I could have a home assessment if at all possible (I had one for DLA and he was a real-life doctor!)
However, as expected, my letter from Atos asked me to attend an assessment centre.
The centre is in the next town and about 45 minutes by car ( an hour by public transport).
I rang immediately and the operative was able to check why I had not been offered a home appointment., Apparently it is because I have made short trips out and am not wholly housebound.
I pointed out that I am currently unable to make a long car journey. Guess what? There just happens to be an alternative centre within my own postcode.
It is about 7 minutes away and I have secured a much earlier appointment - which gives me a little less time to prepare - but at least it shortens the time that I'll have the sword of Damocles hanging over me.
This idiotic sending of sick and worried people on long, unnecessary journeys - is either the result of incompetence or insensitivity. However, I am rather inclined to think that it might even be part 1 of the assessment itself! Having done a little research, I have been forewarned about the surveillance cameras that will track us from the moment we arrive. :sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 5 months ago #144102 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Hard to access PIP assessment appointments
It does sometimes smack of deliberate conspiracy to send people on unnecessary journeys but it could just be incompetence. They are that bad.

Did you not get a GP letter supporting your request for ahome visit? That usually works.

However you now have an appointment round the corner so good luck.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144112 by tommotompkins
Replied by tommotompkins on topic Hard to access PIP assessment appointments
Thanks for that!
Unfortunately, my GP is away and I can't see him until after the date of the appointment.
The ruling seems to be that you have to be terminal or totally housebound to qualify for an Atos home visit. I did tell them I was currently bed-bound, but at least I won't be as uncomfortable as I would have been by travelling to another town - I'll have to go straight back to bed when we get back though! :S

More
8 years 5 months ago #144116 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hard to access PIP assessment appointments

Tedley wrote: Thanks for that!
Unfortunately, my GP is away and I can't see him until after the date of the appointment.
The ruling seems to be that you have to be terminal or totally housebound to qualify for an Atos home visit. I did tell them I was currently bed-bound, but at least I won't be as uncomfortable as I would have been by travelling to another town - I'll have to go straight back to bed when we get back though! :S

Please be aware that the assessor will consider how you got to the appointment as part of the assessment process, so if you will have problems doing this you need to explain how you have overcome them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommotompkins

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.