× Members

ESA-Is compliance review meeting random?

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #144262 by wildfell
Hi,
I'm the appointee for my adult son who has autism,epilepsy and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.he is recognised as permanently incapable of work by his consultant.
He received a letter addressed to him today from the DWP,calling him to a review meeting with the compliance officer at the local office next week 25th Nov.
The letter asks for bank statements so we assume it's re ESA rather than DLA.
Firstly I was horrified the letter was sent to him not me as he did not recognise its significance
and it was only by chance I was with him when he opened it.
If he had missed the appointment through not understanding and not telling me,his benefit would be stopped.
Secondly,is this normal?Why do they want to check his bank accounts,which have only his ESA going in to them
.He doesn't work bar about 4 hours volunteering one day a week at the local Oxfam when he is up to it-he often has to cancel.
I rang the number on the letter and the person who sent it was away but the lady I spoke to said she was unable to check his file but sometimes people are called in due to a report,not always though.
Mumsnet has recent reports of people called in randomly .
If anyone has any recent experience of this please let me know so at least I can prepare him if it looks like he may have to face a malicious accusation.
Stress affects the autism and epilepsy so it'll be a long week.
wildfell,with thanks
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144290 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA-Is compliance review meeting random?
Hi Wildfell and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site (forgive me if you are not!) the following link should help you find your way around.

I will deal with your issues separately -

If you are officially your son's appointee, correspondence should be sent to you. You can complain to DWP about this. You might also want to make your MP aware of how the system is (not) working.

Complaining to the DWP

Contacting your MP

The issue of compliance interviews comes up pretty frequently. Many of them are initiated at random but they can also be due to an allegation of some sort. I think you are unlikely to find out which it is in this case. However, you are correct in thinking that not attending one of these interviews risks the claim being terminated.

If you have further questions, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now or click on your username when you are logged in to the forum :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: wildfell

More
8 years 5 months ago #144329 by mommaduck
Replied by mommaduck on topic ESA-Is compliance review meeting random?
Hi Wildfell,

Two years ago I was called in for a 'compliance' interview. The letter stated that I had failed to notify a change of circumstances..which was incorrect. I was asked to bring bank statements etc. i was literally beside myself with worry.

Anyway, the interview was the result of a malicious report...stating that I was claiming DLA, and not disabled, and that I had hundreds of thousands of pounds in my bank, undeclared capital, etc.

The interview lasted less than a minute as it was already concluded before I arrived that I had done nothing wrong and we literally had a good laugh about it. (Compliance officer had done research before I arrived)

The allegations were done online and he showed me the actual online report and gave me a copy of it to take away. As soon as I saw the allegations I (and compliance officer) knew immediately who it was (my ex husband).

The interviewer refused to even look at my bank accounts, because I HAD REPORTED A CHANGE of circumstances....I had reported several that year, and he knew immediately what the money was that was referred to. Divorce settlement, and that the said money, had bought me a new home. DWP were aware of all this.

Compliance officer stated that they were obliged to call everyone in just so that I could sign that the allegations were not true..they have to send a report off, apparently.

He then spent 10/15 minutes chatting to my daughter about how to stop smoking and belittling the benefits system, of all things. Not a happy chappy with the DWP and how they go about things.

I wouldn't worry because it is either of two things.. a false allegation or just a random benefit check - which is the more likely of the two scenarios.

If they really thought that your son had done something dreadfully wrong, they would do the interview under 'caution'. And I assume they are not.

Hope this allays your fears somewhat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wildfell

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.